2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What to use RTV and locktite on when doing head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: What to use RTV and locktite on when doing head gasket

ORIGINAL: magnum318

When doing the rockers you may have to do what is called setting the valve lash. Look in your book about that. I don't know but these engines should require that when doing the pushrods and rockers.
You have to do it on most other engines, look see before you tighten them all down...........
there is no valve lash on the rockers... the lifters are hydraulic

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/5820F2CD649A4639A0F41EF6A38B1FEF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
New_Climber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I will put the crankshaft to the "V-8" position...

Another question...I have some carbon build up on the push rods, can I lightly clean this off with some scotch brite and carb cleaner??

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM
magnum318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

ORIGINAL: magnum318

When doing the rockers you may have to do what is called setting the valve lash. Look in your book about that. I don't know but these engines should require that when doing the pushrods and rockers.
You have to do it on most other engines, look see before you tighten them all down...........
there is no valve lash on the rockers... the lifters are hydraulic

[IMG]local://upfiles/1508/5820F2CD649A4639A0F41EF6A38B1FEF.jpg[/IMG]
I found that out after I posted. I was looking at some parts from Jeggs for the engine, I think it was a cam and it mentions that the Rockers are non-adjustable. You just tourqe them down and go, but with an aftermarket cam they suggested to buy a kit to change the rockers from bolt down to stud mount rockers and you do set the valve lash for the larger cam.

True in this situation you don't have an adjustment for valve lash and the main point is it isn't adjustable. Sorry for the bad advice.[sm=badidea.gif]

But just cause the lifters are hydrolic doesn't make all cars with hydrolic lifters valve lash non adjustable. My Mustang had hydrolic roller lifters and you do have to set the valve lash, it's more like a tourqe sequence though. You set #1 top dead and adjust the certain number rockers, turn crank 1/3 turn and tourqe the others, then 1/3 more for the rest. Unless they are stud mount rockers.

I have just gotten my first dodge and comeing from fords this is a whole new ball game for me. I need to just stand back and listen before throwing out advice, I will go back and stand in my corner now

Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

yeah, if you go to some good rockers (crowers are awesome) you will need to adjust them. that too is a snap to do. toss in some performance lifters and it may even be eaiser (was with my rhoads).

Quick Reply: What to use RTV and locktite on when doing head gasket