2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serp Belt Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Serp Belt Issues

Has anyone else had issues with the serp belt easing its way up over the front side of the crank pulley? We were having a problem, so I got a new belt, and the tensioner was making a clicking noise and had ALOT of play to it when the RPMs would come up, so i burned some money and got a whole new tensioner, and put the new belt back on. the noise persisted for just a second, so i shut it off, made sure everything with the tensioner was tight, and started it back up, and it seemed fine. I made a trip around the down the street, putting about a mile on it, and wound it out pretty good. When I came back, I had a look, and the belt was easing itself back over the front edge of the crank pulley.

So, I made sure that the 6 bolts on the crank were tight, and i removed the water pump pulley, made sure that it looked good, and I put it back on. I then replaced the belt, and let it idle for a bit, then wound it up pretty good, and it seemed fine. I then took the truck on a trip around the block (around 4 miles) again winding it out a few times to the 4500 shift point at WOT, and when i got back, it appears to have settled down. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

It just started doing it, and nothing has changed on the vehicle. I went to electric fans about a month ago and chucked the clutch fan, but this issue didnt start until a few days ago.

I have done the basics..made sure that the pulleys are spun freely, watched the crank pulley spin with and without the belt and saw no unusual movement..no sign of it being bent or no signs of crankwalk. Other than the belt moving, no other problems...charging ok, cooling ok, power steering is fine...

Im baffled.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Tani1500
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Serp Belt Issues

thats interesting, i cant think of what could do that. i had a problem with my belt too. i put a new one on and it would squeak like mad at idle and no other time, i then took it off and checked everything like you did. put it back on and it was fine at idle but would squeak at any other rpm. i just left it until to see if it was going to break ( as i have a spair in the truck anyway) after about a week it just went away. i dont know maybe the belt just had to break in alittle

Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

well, we dont ever drive very far...so it isnt like we/she can get caught far from home with a broken belt...

but like i said, i ran it pretty hard, and nothing happened...i guess we will see

Old 07-14-2006, 08:34 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

well..an update..."everyone" told me that my problems were due to a cheap tensioner and belt..so i bought an expensive mopar belt and tensioner..and the problem persists.

Upon further inspection, it appears as though the noise is the belt "slapping" where the belt meets the crank pulley from the water pump pulley. the odd part, there is no rhythm to it...and it comes and goes...so "everyone" has once again said..there must be an issue with the crank pulley, and i agree.

So...I have now ordered march underdrive pulleys and a dorman AC bypass pulley. jegs said that the pulley kit should be here tomorrow...so if nothing else, I will have another DIY to post.

Im still open to suggestions...

the water pump is newer, the tensioner is new..the belt is new. the alt, ac, ps, idle,a nd wp pulleys all spin nice and smooth.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:46 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are there any new parts/pulleys that could be 'out of alignment' with the others ? You mention water pump being newer. Could the problem have started when the new water pump went on ?

Old 07-15-2006, 09:16 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

the water pump went on last september...this started on sunday. nothing was changed immeadiately before this problems started. [:@]

the one thing that my dad suggested:
The crank pulley is original, and the stock tensioner that is now off, was obviously going south. When the tensioner got very bad, it allowed the belt to slap, and that in turn damaged something, like the crank pulley. He said that he has seen it before...i guess i wil find out once the new pulleys are on..

Old 07-16-2006, 12:22 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

look at me double posting..whatever will people think?

anyway...

thanks to the good people at jegs, i ordered the march pulleys last night at about 4:50pm. They arrived at the house around 3pm today! jegs rocks!

I have put them all on in the squeltering heat, and the noise is gone. HOWEVER...several times before, the noise was gone, only to return a while later. When i put the new mopar tensioner and belt on Yesterday, i took it for a ride, and it seemed fine. I came back, it sat for about 2 hours, and when i started it, the belt slap was back...so to say that "im not getting my hopes up" is an understatement.

For now, I have two complaints, and one concern.

First, the directions were for an 2000+ 5.9 ram..not a 94..but that wasnt a problem. The bigger problem was that the bolts that came with the kit were missing, and wrong...what i mean is, it was supposed to have 10 bolts..4 for the Water pump, 6 for the crank...it only had 9, and one was the wrong thread...so i used the original bolts, and everything seemed to tighten up fine. they were the exact same length.

my one concern. the kit came with a large lock washer...since i dont have directions, i dont know what its for..i assumed the alt pulley, but when i put the alt pulley on with that, the nut was barely threaded on, and the washer was MUCH bigger than the alt bolt...also, when i spun it with the alt bolt, there seemed to be a little wobble to it...with the washer off, there is still a tiny amount of wobble to the pulley, but it is tight (with an impact gun) and when i ran it at fairly high RPMs, the belt didnt appear to be having any issues at the alternator.

for you religious folks...pray for me, as its been a long week..

Old 07-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

hey,
I cant help you with your problem but shoot bano a PM. He brought up some good points about pulleys when i was looking for a set. I am not saying he will know but He is perty smart about this motor stuff. Just a thought

BNB

Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM
newdodge

mine is squeaking also but it is leaking from one of the things that turns it the bottom one to be precise does anyone know what this is?

Quick Reply: Serp Belt Issues