2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear disk conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear disk conversion

Does anyone know if and where a rear drum to disk brake conversion would be available for the corporate 9.25" rear? I've seen them all over the place for Jeeps and for the Danas but nothing for the Ram 1500's. I beefed up my front brakes because most of my driving is on the street and I was getting so little performance out of the slacker rears. I think it's time that they started pulling their weight (so to speak).

Anything ... ?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Big Black Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear disk conversion

Check jeggs.com, I saw one there not long ago.
If you install one let us know how it went and more importantly, how it stops.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

surf around baer.com they should have something.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Thanks for the tip ... I'm OFF ... !!!!

... I'm back ... did you know that Jegs only had one G?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Big Black Ram

What are you a truck guy or an english major? Did they have it?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:47 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

When your typing URL's into a search engine ... everyone needs to be an english major.

Yeah, I found them ... all $900 worth ... OUCH! Still considering it. Just gonna be a tougher sell to the accountant/wife.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10155

All the way at the bottom.

Didn't find anything on Baer.com ... their stuff looks pretty tough but no specific applications.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:51 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I wouldn't do it. Not worth it in my opinion for marginally increased braking and the increased chance of problems with the more complex system.

Stick with the drums, and look at upgrading your wheel cylinders. It would cost you a whole $18 and noticeably increase your braking

If there is ANY disc upgrade you should consider it would be the front. Upgrade from the single piston calipers to the dual piston calipers used on 2000 and 2001 Rams.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

I didn't think you could get any simpler than a floating caliper but let's say, "Sure ... you convinced me. I now love drums".[:'(] What exactly is an "upgrade" to the wheel cylinder?

Can I just order new `01 calipers and pistons from Mopar and slide them in my mounts? (I love bolt on)

Old 07-17-2006, 09:23 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill
I didn't think you could get any simpler than a floating caliper but let's say, "Sure ... you convinced me. I now love drums".[:'(] What exactly is an "upgrade" to the wheel cylinder?

Can I just order new `01 calipers and pistons from Mopar and slide them in my mounts? (I love bolt on)
The sliding part of the caliper is what causes problems They tend to sieze up or get dirty/jammed. That's why GM went back to drums on some of their pickup trucks The wheel cylinder is the hydraulic part of the drum brakes. I did a write up on it which you can find here: https://dodgeforum.com/m_498851/tm.htm Because you have a 1/2 ton, you probably wouldn't want to go with the 1 Ton Chevy Dually cylinders...since I'm not sure the 1/2 ton master cylinder has enough capacity for them, but you'd probably be fine going with the 1 Ton Dodge Ram cylinders.

As far as the front brake swap, it's a little more involved. I believe you have to replace the caliper, bracket, hub (go to a MUCH better serviceable hub) and rotor. I'm pretty sure that's all you would need for an upgrade...not 100% though. Eventually I'll do it on my truck, and then I'll know for sure...not this year though. The wheel cylinders helped me enough for now You could probably find everything you needed in a boneyard. With new parts, it would cost about the same as a rear upgrade, but the benefit would be greater in my opinion. The parts wouldn't run you that much from a place like www.chryslerpartsdirect.com either.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:30 PM
radwebster
Captain

drums suck a$$ in the mud though [:'(]

i was trying to figure out if anyone made a rear disk brake setup out of junkyard parts. i'm sure there has to be calipers and rotors off of other vehicles that will work.

Quick Reply: Rear disk conversion