2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Deep trans pan questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deep trans pan questions

What is the deep transmission pan of choice? I like the Mopar deep pan that Burning Rom once posted about, but have read that it's extra capacity is only like 1/2 quart. The Mag-Hytec pan seems good, but are more $$$. What about the TCI Pan or the B&M pans?

Lastly, will the extra deep pans like from Mag-Hytec or TCI fit with the factory skid plate in place?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:42 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Deep trans pan questions

I just found this place: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

The pans and pick-ups are about halfway down the page. Prices seem pretty reasonable for three and four quart extra capacity pans (one with cooling). As to if they'll fit or not ... I guess you'll have to call and ask. These guy's look like they'll know.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:04 AM
556fmj
Professional

I just installed a TCI deep pan today actually. I like it so far. It came with the gasket and the filter too... added bonus! I didn't think it was going to. It does have a filter extension too. It holds around 2 extra quarts (6 vs. 4), but the mopar one has an extra hole for a trans temp gauge... kind of a toss up in my opinion. I'd like the gauge in the pan, but I like the extra fluid capacity too. I installed a B&M supercooler at the same time... install was pretty easy for both.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Chopper1
All Star

GODRAMIT had some info on this a while back. He had pics comparing a couple. I'm thinking he was for the TCI, but not sure.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

You have a 46RE tranny, the B&M pan will not gain you any capacity and you will have to modify the pan to make it fit.
The mag hitech is a nice pan but you may have some clearance issues with your skid plate. But it does hold 4 extra quarts.

The mopar pan is nice but I would call the Mopar performance tech line. I was told that there isnt an extra capactiy pan available for a 46RE tranny but Burning rom said there was. I have yet to see one in comparison so thats up to you.
and for the comment about the mopar pan haveing the extra hole for the temp sensor. That isnt the proper place for the sensor. You wont get acurate readins from there.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

.....and for the comment about the mopar pan haveing the extra hole for the temp sensor. That isnt the proper place for the sensor. You wont get acurate readins from there.
Oh, I agree complety. I currently have my guage in the port on the side of the trans, but plan to move it to the pressure line heading to the cooler. The reason I ask about the pan is that I plan to put an inline switch that will allow me to toggle my gauge back and forth between the reading on the fluid in the pan pre-trans, and the reading on the pressure line post-trans. Or, I may just run 2 temp guages, but since I already have a single gauge pod with a trans temp gauge, it makes more sense to do a toggle.

Thanks for you help on the pan. The other problem with the Mopar pan is that several I have talked to who have it (it is part # P5007740) have had to remove part of the corner of the governor pressure solenoid bracket to make it fit. I was also told by a Mopar performance supplier that you have to supply your own bolts, and make up a filter stud mount because nothing Mopar supplies will fit. He also said you have to grind on the pan and trim some tin baffles on the valve body to get the pan on. That is way to much effort just to install a pan, escpecially when there are ones out there that fit fine, so I think I am going to just go with either the TCI pan, or the Mag-Hytec.

Quick Reply: Deep trans pan questions