2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced wires now wont start - whats up

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006 | 02:31 PM
rammed hard
Default RE: Replaced wires now wont start - whats up

The ignition box is labled as to which cylinder that terminal leads to and Iv'e checked for proper placement several times and everything is snugger than an undersized condom on a sailer returning to port.I'm going to stare at it some more just so it knows I'm by its side in this time of need.I'll let you know if it recovers from its coma.

Old 07-16-2006 | 05:58 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86
Test for spark coming off the wire going from the coil to the distributor.
No distributor. The V10 uses two coil packs...one of which acts as an ICM

Are your wires routed correctly in the spark plug wire loom? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but it matters.

Check out the TSB for proper routing: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-16-98.htm

Have you done as some suggested and checked for spark by hanging a wire off (with a spark plug in it) and having someone check for a spark? Maybe check on a few different cylindrs.

Have you checked the connections to the coil packs to make sure they're tight? Not the plug wires, but the larger connectors?

Old 07-16-2006 | 08:59 PM
rammed hard

THE WIRE LOOM------------Ahh haa

Who would ever think that the pattern in which there laying together in the WIRE LOOM would make a diff.

I am 90% sure that is exactly what is causing the engine not to start, Iwill go and re-route the wires in the WIRE LOOM and let you know .

DASH-------------------------------

Old 07-16-2006 | 10:00 PM
rammed hard

life wasn't ment to be that easy.

The wires are now routed through the loom correctly. I do not have spark at the #1 cylinder however so now it gets down to the distributor connecttions which all seem o.k.

Old 07-16-2006 | 10:41 PM
Big Black Ram

Stupid question time: Did you ground the body of the spark plug when you checke for spark or did you just let it hang on the ignition wire? If it was not grounded it will not fire the spark plug. Also be carefull when checking for spark, distributorless ignition systems cary several amps of power (less than an amp can kill you) , So DONT ASSUME THERE IS NO SPARK - know it.

Old 07-16-2006 | 11:51 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention you need to ground the spark plug...sorry. I have a special plug with a clip welded on it that I use to check.

Old 07-17-2006 | 12:31 AM
rammed hard

Fellas I'm going to wait till tomarrow when I can confirm that the boys at the parts department can confirm that they set me up with the right set of wires ( possibly they gave me a set for 2002 to current year v-10)
Then I will go from there. Another thing is that now when I turn on the ignition the "CHECK ENGINE" light stays on. It just ain't like the good old days .

Old 07-18-2006 | 01:38 AM
rammed hard

Does anyone want to know what happens when you carefully replace your spark plug wires and your truck doesn't start----

Not a whole lot.

Does anyone want to know what happens when you knock the performance chip while carefully changing your spark plugs-

Your truck doen't start and you spend a whole day staring --wondering if your looking at 9 but maybe its a 6 and a 3 but maybe its 8 and pinching things together 100 times then throwing in the towel.

Well thats what happened and alls better now --- unreal huh

Thank for all the suggestions Sincerly , Back on the saddle

Old 07-18-2006 | 01:46 AM
Big Black Ram

Next time dont be so carefull. Seriously though its good to here it's up and running again.

Old 07-18-2006 | 02:33 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Glad to hear it's back up and running! Now it's time to do the GM brake cylinder swap - https://dodgeforum.com/m_498851/tm.htm (as long as your V10 has drums in the rear)

Quick Reply: Replaced wires now wont start - whats up