2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:25 AM
CrazySpyder69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking Noise

Im trying to find out what is wrong with my friends 1996 1500 dodge ram 2wd. He describes it as a clunking noise when he brakes and turns. Ive tried searching all over the internet and I THINK it is either the steering shaft, traction bar, or ball joints. Ive read all over the place of ppl telling someone to check these things but what could cause this? I dont want someone to just say "Oh yeah its ur steering shaft." Details! I want to know whats going on to cause this "clunking". Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 PM
RJlovesbeer
Rookie
Default RE: Clunking Noise

The ball joint, trac bar, sway bar, or torsion bar would all make sense, since over time wear and tear has been known to cause problems with these on dodge (or any really) trucks. I would think twice about it being a steer box/shaft problem if he says the problems also happens when just braking. Also get under the truck and see if the noise is audible in park...the exhaust manifolds are notorious for making goofy noises when they start getting up in years. If your problem is with any of these, the only cause for it is simply wear and tear on joints, bushings, and gaskets. Just the price you pay with a 10 year old truck.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:24 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

Being a 2wd, I'd check the upper control arm bushings...iirc, the upper control arms are slotted for camber/caster adjustment...if it was recently aligned, they may be loose, they're a pita to tighten, some serious torque to keep them from moving around...they will clunk when turning and braking as you describe.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:47 PM
CrazySpyder69

ORIGINAL: fiveliterbtr

Being a 2wd, I'd check the upper control arm bushings...iirc, the upper control arms are slotted for camber/caster adjustment...if it was recently aligned, they may be loose, they're a pita to tighten, some serious torque to keep them from moving around...they will clunk when turning and braking as you describe.
Well he just got his alignment done so should he take it back to where he got it aligned and demand them to fix it?

Old 07-16-2006, 08:07 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

He should take it back and have them find the source of the noise, letting them know it started right after it was aligned, if that was the case...don't go demanding anything until you know for sure what the noise is.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
CrazySpyder69

ORIGINAL: fiveliterbtr

He should take it back and have them find the source of the noise, letting them know it started right after it was aligned, if that was the case...don't go demanding anything until you know for sure what the noise is.
Ok ill let him know. thx for the help.

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

One thing I forgot...if it was just aligned, all tie rods/ball joints/steering shafts/wheel bearings/etc. should be nice and tight...if it's not the upper control arms clunking, then something else is loose/worn...any reputable shop will check the front end for play before an alignment...if there is anything worn, it shouldn't have been aligned, as they can't get a true reading...interested to find out what it is, I'm sure you'll let us know.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:11 AM
CrazySpyder69

****UPDATE****

Well my friend took his truck back up to the same shop that quoted 1,600 and told them to replace what was truly nessicary. They said they would replace the bearings, tie rods and something else that he didnt remember. Well I probibly could have replaced that and saved him some money but oh well he doesnt want to listen to me. But if it wooks then cool.......

Quick Reply: Clunking Noise