2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:17 AM
05SilverHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Question

I am trying to find out if my fuel pump is dead or not. Can someone let me know if when you turn the key to on position, do you hear the fuel pump cycle? I know some cars you do and some you dont. This one is a 97 Ram w/360.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:34 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Fuel Pump Question

You should hear it prime, at least the first time or two.

I'm assuming your truck is not starting?

Sometimes you can have someone lay under it and bank on the tank with a rubber mallet while you try and start the truck. Sometimes that wakes the dead/dying pump up...if only for a bit.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:02 AM
05SilverHemi
Veteran

Yes, the truck is not starting. I was about 99% sure you should hear it when you first turn the key for a second or so. This one makes no noise at all. I gave the tank a wrap with a mallet which did not get me anywhere. Tonight I am going to verify I am getting power to the pump before I drop the tank and remove it.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Someone on here a while back had a similar issue. There was a connector under the drivers side fender edge that feeds the system. He had a pic and referenced which wire was what. A critter chewed on his. There is a pressure switch that if it has pressure will not turn the pump on. If tried a few times recently it will probably not run. If it has sat and let the pressure drop it should run.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Question