2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help/advice plz - I have a "surge" at steady hiway speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 04:26 AM
mikeah169
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help/advice plz - I have a "surge" at steady hiway speeds.

Mine dosent surge at highway speeds but sometimes when I come to a stop and then go again it wont accelerate. I press the gas all the way down but the engine dosent really do anything and it will finally accelerate. I was wondering if it could be the IACV ot the TPS?

Old 07-22-2006, 04:53 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

my guess, TPS first choice, if not then maybe IAC

Old 07-24-2006, 04:06 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Biggmee, My guess is that the new TPS should have cured the problem. The Idle Air Control motor will not be the cause of your problem. If the IAC gets dirty it will cause a surging at IDLE, not when going down the road. I wonder if the shop reset your computer after replacing the TPS. They should have. I also wonder if the TPS they put on could be bad......

Old 07-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Biggmee

If I get the surge again, I will get the new TPS checked...

Is there a way for me to reset the computer myself? Perhaps by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

I do know that will erase all the codes ...

A guy would think the computer would recognize a new plug and play part (like the TPS) and reset itself ... Maybe it does after a few start-ups ...?

The mystery surge was not present this morning, but I was only at hiway speeds for 10 miles ... I have a 400 mile day trip tomorrow, so we shall see what we shall see! [8D]

Things that make ya go Hmmmmm ...

PS... I did clean the IAC anyway, and it was not dirty at all... Just a few black specs. The end of the IAC appeared to be slightly rough/pitted ... It that normal?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Biggmee

So, the saga continues ...

I have just dropped my truck off back at the shop that replaced the TPS. I am still getting the surge... I am having them re-check the TPS incase the new part was bad. They will do that for "free"... Not really free, since I paid through the nose last time, and I still have the surge.[:@]

If it is not the TPS, and I have personally cleaned the throttle body and Air Idle Controller, can anyone think of what else it could be?

How can I be certain there is no EGR valve on my 1999 Ram 1500 360 2wd?

I am at a loss on this one ...

Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 AM
Big Black Ram

Does it feel like its jumping in and out of overdrive? This condition is usually caused by the TPS, but it may be caused by the tranny not shifting properly (go figure), If it is check the tranny fluid to see if its dark. Also check for fuel pressure and make sure it is where it needs to be and is capable of maintaining proper pressure at cruise speed. As far as the IAC valve, the pitting is not really normal but if it was causing an issue it will surface at idle and not during cruise speeds, so dont read to much into it. I cant find any info on the EGR valve, but if it was a bad valve it would act more like a vaccum leak than a surge. Good Luck, Rich

Old 08-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Biggmee

I appreciate the info ...

I am certain (as certain as one can be ) that it is not the tranny. I have 34,000 miles on it, and at 25,000 I had the tranny flushed, refilled with stock fluid, and the band adjusted ... By my fathers' mechanic down in Tennessee ... A trusty kind of family shop.

Of course, that was BEFORE I found this forum!!!! Next go-round with the tranny I will do it myself, and change to a synthetic fluid! [8D]

The dealer was good on their word. This time they drove my truck for 40 miles, and found an intermittent signal drop out from the TPS. That would be the NEW TPS installed 10 days ago.

So they changed it out again, and drove another 35 miles and no drop outs ... No charge to me either

I am a sceptical kind of guy ... It makes me wonder if (perhaps) the dealer did not actually change out the TPS the first time around since I (in my ignorance) mentioned that I had a similar problem with an older rig and it was the EGR valve...

Well, since there is no EGR valve on my '99 model 360, perhaps the gang at the dealership saw $$$$$$$$$$$ in my pocket ... Then, when I can back armed with the knowledge gained from the DODGE FORUM GEN2 crew, they figured they better go on and fix me up ...

But then I may be paranoid ....

Either way, so far no surge ....

Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I am skeptical also - that's why I suggested the supposedly "new" tps they supposedly put in might be bad......[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
You need to use the transmission fluid specified for your model by Dodge. Probably ATF 4 if you have an '99. Check with your dealership. I imagine the tps problem was the cause of your surge. Trannies do give out on these, however. My first one grenaded at 40k miles.
To reset the computer - unhook the batt cables, turn the ignition key to "run" for 30 seconds or so, turn back to "off", and hook the cables back up. Make sure to do a couple wide-open-throttle runs on an on ramp or something within the first 40 miles so the computer can "see" wot.....

Quick Reply: Help/advice plz - I have a "surge" at steady hiway speeds.