2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear disk conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear disk conversion

DieselDemon

Thanks for the good information. As it is, right now, I have STOOD (literally) on the brakes and not gotten a squeek from any tire. Now, I know these are pretty good tires but the rear anti-lock didn't even activate - running empty (I heard it once when the truck was new ... terrible racket). The fact is, I need more stopping power. I should have the OPTION of flat spotting all four corners if I want to. The fronts are working fine (better than stock) but there is just SO much weight up there that they are simply over-worked. And don't get me started on the crappy rears. The Burning Rom made a good suggestion of replacing the pathetic 1/2 ton wheel cylinders with either GM or Dodge 1 ton units which will increase the pressure on the shoes, ensuring the rears do their share of the braking (up to where the anti-lock says, "Enough!")

But still ... I really like the idea of replacing the stock axle assemblies with Dana 60s. I'm trying to think of any down sides ...

... anybody?

Old 07-19-2006, 01:08 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill
But still ... I really like the idea of replacing the stock axle assemblies with Dana 60s. I'm trying to think of any down sides ...

... anybody?
You have to get new rims. That's the only downside most bring up when thinking about the swap. That and your drive shaft lengths might have to be adjusted.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have thought a lot about swapping out my diff
and going either with Dana 60, Ford 9 inch, or Aluminum Quikchange differential.
This also gives you the option of changing the rear brakes.

There is a company advertising Ford 9 inch differentials with Buick 11 inch aluminum drum brakes.

Certain 1970's F150 and full size Bronco's have 9 inch differentials with 5 on 5.5 wheels.

The aluminum Quikchange is a modified Ford 9 inch with an extra set of gears mounted in the rear that allows 20 minute ratio changes. One disadvantage is that the third pinion bearing and extra set of gears creates a bit more friction. It probably robs another 3-5% of both torque and MPG.
There is no free lunch in this world. Everytime you use a gearset you create friction and lose 3-5%
{this is a problem with the 45RFE and 545RFE automatic transmissions which run two planetaries at once to create overdrive ratios}

Some of the Dodge Ram 2500's had the Dana 60 and are the right width and have the RWAL sensor.
You would need new axles with 5 on 5.5 wheel
The Dana 60 probably has a bit more friction than a 9.25, maybe 2%

There was even a two speed Dana 60 used years ago in the Mercury Cougars.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Tani1500
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im to lazy to read this all now so idk if this has been mentioned yet. you can swap in the rear 9.25 out of the 3rd gen ram with disk breaks. 16's might be close but if you have 17's there fine. ive heard you can also get everything from the dealer to convert it.

oh and you guys need to get with the program, if you hear noises that annoy you, do what i do, put on a loud exhaust and get a good radio

Quick Reply: Rear disk conversion