2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

UPDATE ON TRUCK DYING11111

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 PM
wildwolf59
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE ON TRUCK DYING11111

well i have had the broke plugs drilled out and i have put a coil,cap,rotor,plugs,wires,tps sensor ,changed automatic shutdown relay and fuel regulator relay and the truck is STILL dying sporadically.....no rhyme or reason when it does it.....my mechanic thought it was the coil because it was a little corroded on the ends but that wasnt it.....so now i am back to square one......i am thinking it might be cam sensor or crank sensor.....when the truck died i turned it off and tried it again and i heard the pump come on and it wouldnt start so i am thinking it might not be the pump, but i have seen stranger i guess. I f i had one bad injector out of the eight would it just die or run bad.......i mean it dont sputter or nothing, it just cuts off!!!!! what about the pcm? and i still havent gotten a light yet.....lol.....any more suggestions guys?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: UPDATE ON TRUCK DYING11111

If you had a bad injector, the truck would still run OK and would not shut down. I am thinking along the lines of the cam sensor or crankcase sensor.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

thats what i am thinking....more the crank sensor than the cam.....hopefully it is one of these......lol

Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I agree ^^^^

Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

ok....changed crank sensor and went for a ride.....didnt do it so tommorrow i will go for about a 30 mile trip to see if it will do it......in 30 miles it used to do it about 3 or 4 times so i will know more tommorrow.......fingers crossed!!!!!!.....lol

Old 08-10-2006, 01:20 PM
zoomzoom

this same thing happened to me the truck would run great then just shut off usually a few minutes would go by and then it would start but i was like this aint cool!!! my lead tech, a GM lead tech though after lookin over the basics said hook a fuel pressure gauge up and tape it to the windshield when the truck dies watch the guage if it goes to almost to zero or all the way to zero u got a bad fuel pump. well that was exacatally the problem the damn fuel pump was playin one huge mind game with me. i figured when an electric pump goes it goes not works 90% of the time and then takes a 10 lunch break when ever it feels like it. yeah so if ur still baffalled run a fuel gauge all the time and wait for the truck to start to die. i hope this helps i know those damn engine sensors are expensive and it seems like alot of (mechanics) find throwing awhole lot of sensors on cars as there sorta trial and error approach.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM
A50

I know a guy whos' dodge truck would die like this and it was due to many activations of the tilt steering, it was rubbing the key ignition wire inside the steering column. The harness was replaced and everything is OK. You might want to check for ignition voltage from the key when it won't run. He found it by accident, in that he could make it run if he just cycled the tilt wheel a few times.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM
dodgewhine
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a new PCM. If you can start it up after it dyes. Sounds like a bad PCM.

Quick Reply: UPDATE ON TRUCK DYING11111