2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

0 Oil Pressure!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 07:41 PM
dualstr8pipes
Default RE: 0 Oil Pressure!!!!

Yes it has oil in it. Thanks for the input I'll have to try that. Any other inputs are still welcome.

Old 07-20-2006 | 07:56 PM
Sehr916
Veteran

I had that same problem last fall with my truck except its an auto. Any time I would stop reasonably the guage would go to 0 and get that check gauges chime. This was when I first started driving the truck and my lazy brother only had about a quart of oil in the crankcase. Filled it up and its been fine since.

Old 07-20-2006 | 08:03 PM
dualstr8pipes

Its reading good on the dipstick.

Old 07-21-2006 | 09:55 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Since you have oil on the dipstick I would agree with TMS Bill for you to use a manual gauge to double check the pressure. Was the pressure going all the way to zero before you last changed oil? If not replace the oil filter also (cheap $2 attempt to fix). If after checking the pressure with the manual gauge and replacing the oil filter you still don't have pressure, you're probably looking at replacing the oil pump. In my 2001 Ram 4X4 it was fairly easy (less than an hour) to pull the pan and replace the oil pump. Cost less than $40 for pump. I was able to re-use the original pan gasket. If you replace the pump be VERY careful about getting it seated correctly before tightening the bolts or you'll break the pump for sure. Also verify the new pump is OK by physically spinning the input shaft before installing it. It should spin easily and you should see no cracks or damage in the input shaft area or the oil pump casing. It's not common, but I got a bad one from Melling. First one in 20 years, but I think somebody dropped it during shipping. Also be sure to prime the pump before installing it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 0 Oil Pressure!!!!