2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Under hood insulation needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:20 AM
ASH
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under hood insulation needs replacing

I hadn't run my truck for about a month, was on vacaction and I was running my car back and forth to work. Either mice or squirrels got under the hood and chewed up the insulation that is suspended from the underside of the hood. I wanted to take it to work today and noticed the problem when I went to check the oil. I had to rip it all down, it wasn't salvagable.

My question is: If I don't replace it right aways, will it damage the paint on the hood due to the heat transfer? Or is it only there for sound reduction? I assume I should get it replaced soon, not sure if it is a dealer only part or if I can get it aftermarket. If anyone has the insulation from a wrecked truck, PM me and maybe we can work out a deal on it.

Fortunately, I don't think the little bastards chewed up any wires or vacuum lines. The truck seemed to run like normal. I checked the air filter to make sure they hadn't built a nest in there. With all the stray cats we have around, I can't believe I had this problem. Any suggestions on keeping the buggers out of the truck, such as mothballs on the floor of the carport (open garage). I know someone else had a problem with squirrels, I'll have to see if I can find that thread.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:54 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Under hood insulation needs replacing

Shouldn't damage the paint. I've run my turbocharged car without hood insulation and never noticed any paint damage.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ive been runing my truck with no isulation under the hood for about 5 months now.. in cold and hot weather... and no problems here either..

Old 07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
nmason
Veteran

mine came with no insulation, paint is fine

Old 07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The insulation was designed so that if there is an engine fire, it would drop and smother the fire. Now, that may have been a salesman's BS to be (imagine that), but there could be a bit of truth to it. I wouldn't worry about not running with insulation. Cars have done that for years.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:45 AM
ASH
Veteran

Great, thanks for your replies. At least I don't have to worry about getting that part. When I ripped it down, I was thinking of what a pain it would be to put a new one up. You saved me a few sheckels and quite a bit of time.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

i dont have any insulation (not sure if truck came with it or not) and my paints chipping bad. but i dunno if its related to not havin insulation or not.....

Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 AM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine off for 2yrs no problem, and when I took it off I burned it in the burn barrel so that was Salesman BS you got............its for sound deadening.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine didn't come with it at all. No paint issues here.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
joe21498

I had the same thing happen to mine about a year ago. Some animal got in there and destroyed it. I got a replacement from the dealer but that was only because I could get it cheap.

I think when I parked at night something was living in there because they liked the free heat from the engine and the warm blanket. I would watch out for this problem in the future as well.

Quick Reply: Under hood insulation needs replacing