2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just Got Spanked!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 06:32 PM
johnjokela
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got Spanked!

Today i was coming home from work on the freeway in the fast lane .Speed limit is 65, i was going 70 , and a all white even the bumpers like mine , 2nd gen dodge truck, small lift like mine also , nothing radical stock looking truck gets on my a$$, so i do what everyone else would do I PUNCH IT!, going about 85 still accelerating and the white dodge flew pass me like im standing still with no problem ,i had it to the floor,wtf? i know my truck is stock, 5.9 , 2.5 inch flowmaster exhaust and thats about it, (for now anyways) still peppy for stock i think, but am i going to get a huge gain if i go with ,headers, Fastman 52 mm tb, hi flow cats , cold air intake, pcm, programmer, ignition upgrade , etc,? or do i have to get into the motor a bit, like rockers , cam, intake manifold,heads,etc ,I am going to go with the above mentioned upgrades without getting inside the motor.thanks on your opinions

Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 PM
johnjokela
Veteran
Default RE: Just Got Spanked!

OH yeah im not ashamed on admitting this , because it was another DODGE!!

Old 07-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez, I thought this thread was going to be about a trip to a woman who calls herself "The Dutchess of Discipline"

Old 07-27-2006, 07:10 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

LOL SORRY

Old 07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

You wouldn't want to do rockers AND a cam. It's usually one or the other (stock heads wouldn't handle the lift)...and my vote is always for cam

Old 07-27-2006, 07:37 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

If i went with a aftermarket head , wouldnt i want to go with a bigger ratio rocker , ive heard a bigger ratio makes more power? and far as a cam do you know how big a cam can you get without screwing up smogs? im just used to the old v8's where it didnt matter, thanx rom on your input

Old 07-27-2006, 08:26 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: johnjokela
If i went with a aftermarket head , wouldnt i want to go with a bigger ratio rocker , ive heard a bigger ratio makes more power? and far as a cam do you know how big a cam can you get without screwing up smogs? im just used to the old v8's where it didnt matter, thanx rom on your input
Like I said before, you don't want to do rockers AND a cam. Rockers in my opinion have always been a "poor man's cam". It's what someone does when they don't want to tear into the engine to do a cam swap. You could install a nice set of aluminum rockers with a cam, but I'd stick with the stock ratio.

As far as cams, I'm not sure how big you can go on the V8s. I know there have been some members on here that have had problems with aftermarket cams, but if I remember right they were installing cams without doing any sort of tuning which is a bad idea.

I think if you went with a Mopar "purple" camshaft, which is a mild cam that's designed to work with their performance PCM (or a hypertech/superchips programmer) you would notice some decent gains without having to worry about messing with your emissions or having problems down the road.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

Thanks rom thats pretty helpful info to me, ill keep that in mind,

Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

hey rom , do you know anything about stroker kits for this motor, or is that a whole new diff subject, plenty of money to blow on this truck , but want the best bang for the buck without problems down the road, more hp and torque gains if possible.its a dd, but weekend mudder when there is mud , lol praying for thunderstorms right now, i just want the best of the best for my dodge, thanks again ,

Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

i just called the stealership about a cat y-pipe for my truck and they wanted $778 for that, i know that i can get hi flow cats for about around $100, but if i put on hi flow cats from summit , they say not cal legal, and my truck is cal orgin, does that mess up my smog? what do i do, my friend at work just paid $800 for his cat y-pipe and i told him he got ripped off, but the muff shop told him that is was a cal thing? Confused!

Quick Reply: Just Got Spanked!