2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just Got Spanked!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just Got Spanked!

ORIGINAL: johnjokela
i just called the stealership about a cat y-pipe for my truck and they wanted $778 for that, i know that i can get hi flow cats for about around $100, but if i put on hi flow cats from summit , they say not cal legal, and my truck is cal orgin, does that mess up my smog? what do i do, my friend at work just paid $800 for his cat y-pipe and i told him he got ripped off, but the muff shop told him that is was a cal thing? Confused!
As long as you don't live in California, you don't have to meet their emissions standards. Do you have emissions testing where you live?

As far as the stroker kit goes, there is a member on here that has one. His screen name is rm-indy. Here's his website: http://www.rm-indy.com/

The guys over at KRCPerformance also know a LOT about strokers: http://www.krcperformance.com/

Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! i will check out the sites rom thank you , i live in reno we have smog here, hmmmm im thinking stroke it baby!LOL

Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

DON'T go to the dealer. If your gonna get a new cat get a high flow MagnaFlow, its cheaper and better!

Old 07-28-2006, 02:24 AM
johnjokela
Veteran

refuse to go to dealership!

Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well, you have to admit, that a dodge spanking a dodge isnt that embarassing, now if it were a chev, you'd be the laughing stock of the boards (jk). im not really able to suggest anything for you to upgrade, as Im in the same boat as you.. wondering what to do to increase torque and HP.. i've already got it at a high enough top speed, I just need low end acceleration torque.

btw... i dont want to hijack your thread, but imagine doing 40 over the limit with no seatbelt, and getting pulled over to end up getting a warning ticket. (my horseshoes are hurting).

Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 AM
kikidbird
Veteran

What if you are doing the motor in and out, is it okay to put an agressive cam and aftermarket rockers 1.7?

Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kikidbird
What if you are doing the motor in and out, is it okay to put an agressive cam and aftermarket rockers 1.7?
No...too much lift! You wouldn't WANT to run ER Rockers and an aggressive cam. For one, too much lift...like I sad Two, there's the chance of valve float. And three, it would accelerate the wear on your camshaft, since a rocker multiplies the spring pressure applied to the camshaft (the bigger the ratio...the more it multiplies)....and you'd have to have some beefy springs to run a high lift cam in the first place.

On the issue of too much lift, here's a quote directly from CRANE on the subject:
Rocker arm slot to stud interference: As you increase valve lift, the rocker arm swings farther on its axis. Therefore the slot in the bottom of the rocker arm may run out of travel, and the end of the slot will contact the stud and stop the movement of the rocker arm. The slot in the rocker arm must be able to travel at least .060" more than the full lift of the valve. Some engine families, like small block Chevrolet, have stamped steel rocker arms available in long and extra long slot versions for this purpose.

Quick Reply: Just Got Spanked!