2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need quick Opinion today - Huge 4x4 1500 (PIC ADDED)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Rogmatt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need quick Opinion today - Huge 4x4 1500

Brother-in-law is already ******* it telling us the tranny is going to break the first time we take it off road or use the 4WD. I was hoping since the 2nd generation started in 94, and ended in 2001, the 2001's would have the bugs worked out.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Tempsho
Professional

Make sure to change the tranny oil right away, and in regular intervals after that. Make sure it has a good sized tranny cooler and you should be good to go!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Rogmatt
Brother-in-law is already ******* it telling us the tranny is going to break the first time we take it off road or use the 4WD. I was hoping since the 2nd generation started in 94, and ended in 2001, the 2001's would have the bugs worked out.

Sorry, but people like your brother in law really bug me I won't go into my usual lengthly list of Chrysler products my family has owned, and the ONE transmission problem we had with all of them.

All I have to say is change the transmission fluid & filter every 20 to 25,000 miles. DO NOT slack on that! Use a synthetic fluid like Amsoil or Royal Purpole. Install a deep transmission pan. Install a larger transmission fluid cooler. Adjust the bands everytime you do a fluid change. (Band adjustment can be found here: http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...T_band_adj.htm NOTE: it's in inch-lbs...not ft-lbs). And for god sake make sure your son knows that neutral drops are NOT cool. There are plenty of kids around here that don't seem to know that [&:]

Also, make sure to take it somewhere that's gravel covered and put it into 4wd every month, regardless of whether or not you're going to off-road with it. It keeps the vacuum diaphram soft, and keeps everything lubed and working in the front axle. You can do it on pavement if you don't turn at all, but it's better to do it on gravel/grass/dirt. Make sure you put it into 4lo as well.

Make sure to follow these guidelines...straight from the owner's manual...when putting it in 4wd and taking it out:

(Applies to ALL CAD equipped Rams): Transfer Case Shifting Procedure:
2H to 4H or 4H to 2H
Shifts between 2H and 4H can be made while the vehicle is moving or stopped. If the vehicle is moving, shifts can be made at any speed up to 55 mph. This shift will be easier if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal. Apply a constant force while shifting the transfer case lever. NEVER drive in 4H on dry, paved roads.

NOTE: During cold weather (below 30 F) it may be more difficult to shift the transfer case while the vehicle is moving. If so, stop the vehicle and shift. Move the vehicle slightly forward or backward to complete positive engagement of the gears.

4H to 4L or 4L to 4H

Slow the vehicle to under 3 mph (5 kmh), shift an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the clutch on a manual transmission. Shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly down into 4L. Do not pause in transfer case N (Neutral).

NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (neutral) in vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may require shutting the engine off to avoid gear clash while completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift transmission to Neutral (N), hold foot on brake, turn engine off, and THEN make the shift to desired mode.

Do not attempt to shift to or from 4L while transmission is in gear or clutch is engaged.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:41 PM
badram1500
Veteran
Default RE: Need quick Opinion today - Huge 4x4 1500 (PIC ADDED)

don't know about the trans breaking the first time you go into 4wd but, the trans is a weak link in these trucks. as mentioned before change the trans fluid (use atf +4 or Amsoil) and have the bands adjusted. I didn't see any offroad tags on it so I will guess it dosen't have an aux trans cooler. Get one. Other than that just drive like a human.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:07 PM
radwebster
Captain

ha! trans breaking on the first time out?! either he's just messin with ya, or hes an idiot

Old 07-29-2006, 08:31 PM
ARbowhunter7

Transmission breakin when you go off road or lock in 4x4? Well crap, guess mine's probably broke then. Better go out and look at it. Funny thing is, it still drives and shifts fine.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Rogmatt
Amateur

One thing I would like to look into is having the rear lifted a little. It seems the front lift is higher.
I like the rear to be a tad higher than the front or at least even. Will that be major? Thanks for any feedback.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Tempsho
Professional

Go to a local spring/suspension shop in your area and get an extra leaf installed (AAL) It will give you anywhere from 1"-1.75" of lift, depending on which leaf is installed. Or, you can opt for taller blocks, but most guys here would recommend the first option. I had an AAL installed on my truck for under $180 cdn.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Nice looking truck. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

I wouldn't call it huge by any means though. I thought you meant something running 38's or 40's with 10 inches of lift or more. That's huge in the world of Rams. 3" lift with 295's is about average though. Hope he likes it. Wish I had gotten somthing that nice when I was his age. My first ride was a '79 Mustang with a 4 cylinder. [:'(] At least it was a stick.
thats what i though too. i was getting nervous that he might have like 38's or 40's on the dana 44 I would also go with an AAL, insted of a block, you get alot of axle rap with block and please never stack blocks!

Old 08-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Rogmatt
Amateur

Well, I just found the aftermarket transmission cooler on it, so that is good.
Tomorrow morning it goes to the shop for transmission fluid change (Amsoil), filter, and band adjustment. I am considering getting a 2" "Add a Leaf" on each side in the back, I am hoping that will level it out.

Quick Reply: Need quick Opinion today - Huge 4x4 1500 (PIC ADDED)