2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Supercharger or turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006 | 10:16 PM
Big_N_Bad
|
Professional
Default Supercharger or turbocharger

which is better, what company make both. and which is more reliable on a realtivly stock dodge. I think this is my only other thing besides a throttle body, So which would be better for a realitivly stock dodge 360. THis is my next project after i can get those headers fixed

BNB

Old 07-28-2006 | 10:28 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Supercharger or turbocharger

You wouldn't need headers with a turbocharger

Turbocharger is better in my opinion, but there are no kits out there for the 2nd gens that I know of.

However there are several supercharger kits out there. If you do some searching, you will find many posts about them in this section. In my opinion, I'd go with a powerdyne. That's just me though

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:10 AM
Big_N_Bad
|
Professional

yea sorry,
i did a search and found alot, i think a supercharger is better, Well thanks

BNB

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:15 AM
echseman
Professional

hey big n bad, your truck sounds like it is a badass off-roader. have any pics? thanks

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:17 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yea i wanna see pics too...... 10 inches of lift and i dont think ive seen it yet.....

nvm just saw that you have a gallery

second edit- nvm again you dont have any pics in your gallery

Old 07-29-2006 | 12:17 AM
94Champ
Professional

As Rom said,there's quite a few supercharger kits from different manufacturers out there.For what a supercharger kit costs tho [any of them] versus hp gain from it, I would recommend ditching the stock motor and getting a stroker motor instead,you'd be better off. These trucks are "lead sleds" and any more bottom end you can give em is best, especially the 4wd's. The 360 motor seems to have a reputation for longevity but in my opinion it's pretty much a dog even with the common mods.[compared to my stock '87 GMC Sierra Classic longbed 4wd with a stock 350 that I traded in for my Dodge [&o]]

Old 07-29-2006 | 05:06 PM
Big_N_Bad
|
Professional

yea i was just about to ask that, would a stroker motor be better for reliability, and power in general

I tried to put pics but couldnt get the size right, i will email a mod to see if they can do it for me. Hopefully they can. THanks for the complements.

BNB

Old 07-29-2006 | 05:45 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional

Big_N_Bad

If i were you with your set up, definatly go with either a stroker, or less expensive would be a supercharger. Turbos are great, but more for street/strip. Looks like you off-road your truck, at least you should! Turbos have lag, it takes awhile for the exhaust gas to spool up the intake and create some boost, no one wants to floor it to get over that rock or that tree. A supercharger has way better low RPM improvements than a turbo (best at high RPM). A supercharger is also much easier on a stock engine because you wont see one on a truck with more than 10PSI, most are going to be 6-8 PSI. a turbo doesnt do a whole lot for you unless you are gettin more than 20 PSI, thats the only time you will see a camparable difference in a 6000lb truck. at that kind of psi, you will be in high rpms, meaning you will most likely have to upgrade all your internals to avoid major problems. A supercharger can just bolt right on, and is great for that quick power with plenty of torque. Turbos are best for making high hp, but if you want torque (what gets your off the line, and over that huge hill) then get a supercharger. And like burning Rom said, there are no turbos for 2nd gen dodge rams. you would have to custom make something. go with the supercharger, and if you want crazy results look here...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/dramati.htm

the stage 2 intercooled one will run you a little bit of money, but give you a gaurenteed 80% increase in power at the wheels. Thats a big gain! I will warn you, if you want this much of a gain, you may need some tranny upgrades! if you have any questions i didnt answer, let me know!

Old 07-29-2006 | 09:17 PM
94Champ
Professional

Just another consideration on forced induction for the magnums- when you start running around 8 psi or higher you WILL blow the stock headgaskets eventually[I've seen em go with a 5 psi setup], if you have the stock kegger manifold with stock plenum pan you WILL blow plenum gaskets at as little as a few psi of boost. You can use the Fel Pro #1001 [if I remember correctly] head gaskets for a bit more peace of mind or the MLS for the best results although the engine and head finish is coarser on the magnums than is recommended for the MLS, or o-ring the heads [big bucks,and the stock heads are not worth it].As for the intake manifold, with forced induction the M1 [300+$]is the only way to go.So,even with the bolt on kits you still have some issues that must be dealt with

Old 07-29-2006 | 11:02 PM
SaneMadMan

I've been looking at superchargers for my truck too...but it's a '95 and I've noticed that all the supercharger kits are for '96-'01. Am I out of luck?

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbocharger