2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P1757, P1762 CEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:41 PM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1757, P1762 CEL

I did a search and it said it was the governer or something sensor.... where on the trans is this thing?

Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: P1757, P1762 CEL

You're not giving us a whole lot of info to work with [&:] Model year?

They're located on the valve body inside the transmission pan if I remember correctly.

The solenoid itself is connected to the sensor. There's a picture of it here: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-19-98.htm

Download the service manual here: https://dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm for detailed instructions on replacement.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM
556fmj
Professional

duh... sorry. I was in a bit of a hurry. It's actually on my buddies 02 dakota, but I couldn't find any posts in the dak section with the search engine with that code on it, but the ram section did have it. So, it's an 02 dak with a 3.9L (I think they have the same series of transmissions as rams) So it is under the pan? Thanks for the link on replacement. I knew you guys could help.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:20 AM
556fmj
Professional

Ok guys. If you get this code it's actually super easy. The stealership wanted 550 to do it, and I did it for $250 in my driveway. This was in a dakota, but I imagine the process is the same in our rams.

Ok, truck is an 02 dak with the 3.9 v6. It acted like it was in 2nd gear all the time, then kicked the CEL. Went to the dealership and got the governer sensor and solenoid for ~200. Added a trans filter/gasket for ~$20. Picked up 6 qts of Valvoline ATF +4 for ~$25. Here's how it went.

Yank off the trans pan. This is messy if you've never done it before. Best setup I've found is to drill a few 1/2" holes in an old trashcan lid and use that to funnel the cascading fluid into a drainpan.

now you can take off the old filter and clean up the pan. Be careful using rags, the lint gets into the trans and trashes it. A good can of brake cleaner and an old cotton t-shirt work well. (this would be a good time to adjust the bands if you are so inclined)

the governer sensor and solenoid are the two things with wires going into them under the pan. There is a metal retainer held on with 4 hex head bolts and 2 torx head bolts. Pull them out, take out the metal retainer. The solenoid will fall out now (with a gush of fluid, be careful)

the sensor just slides out. Lube up the o-rings on the new stuff with new fluid, and stab them in the holes, and affix the retainer now. Plug in the new stuff... you will feel stupid if you do all of this twice... put the new gasket on your clean pan and strap it back up. If you are feeling really saucy, put in a piggy-back bulkhead drain plug in your stock pan, or just toss it and get an aluminum pan with a plug to make this whole process way easier next time.

put the factory recommended amount of fluid in and start it up, and run it through some gears to get the fluid moving, then leave it in Neutral and check the fluid. I hate transmissions because anytime you fill and check something in the same tube, you get residual oil in the tube from filling, so check it a bunch. I like to drive it around some to get the fluid out of the tube, then check it every time you stop (don't go too far incase its really low). After that, get it in the acceptable range on the stick, and keep a close eye on it for the next few days. Oh, and don't forget to clear that CEL too. You should be all set now!

Quick Reply: P1757, P1762 CEL