2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm SOOO screwed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Matt Harwood
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm SOOO screwed

Engine was missing when cold, so I figured that I'd do a tune up: new plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well as TPS. Get to plugs and the first one I tried (rear driver's side--is that 7 or 8?) sheared off. Yep, the bottom of the plug is still in the hole but the part that your wrench can grab is in my hand.

And if it's in there tight enough to break the plug, I'm guessing that no half-assed solutions like JB Weld or something like that will work, either.

So do I have a trip to the dealer in my future? I don't have time to do an engine tear-down and I really need my truck for my business. Any other suggestions? Much appreciated.

F*&k.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:14 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: I'm SOOO screwed

listen, this happened to me. if you can unscrew the plug all the way they make these sring loaded rods that when you push on the plunger at the top the bottom opens up with 4 prongs. you will be able to grab the plug with this.i cant remember the name but its a good tool for reaching behind stuff to pick up what ever is dropped. and if the plug is stuck in there then it was probably threaded wrong during install

Old 07-29-2006, 10:23 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

When you say you broke it off, do you mean just the insulator (white part)? Or the body (metal hex part) of the spark plug as well? If you broke the body of the plug, then you were putting waaaaay too much force into it If you just broke the insulator, then it can still be removed VERY carefully.

If you indeed did break the metal hex part off, then there's nothing that will get them out. You'll have to pull the head and drill them out.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Tani1500
Champion

omg damn that sucks. time for some performace heads.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Matt Harwood
Professional

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

If you indeed did break the metal hex part off, then there's nothing that will get them out. You'll have to pull the head and drill them out.
I did indeed break the metal part and the hex is in my hand. I figured the head had to come off. I also discovered that the two screws holding the distributor cap on sheared off instead of unscrewing, so I can't even get it running on 7 cylinders and drive it to get fixed. Can they fit this bastard on a flatbed?

I'll probably just take it to the stealership and have them fix it. They can do the plenum, the cat recall, the leaf spring TSB and fix the A/C all at the same time. Since the bill will be big anyway, I may as well get it all done. That way the wife only freaks out once

I'm feeling better, but man, this sucks. What's worse is the truck is now immobile in my driveway and both of my other cars are trapped in front of it. How many friends do you think I'll need to push a 2500 4x4 extended cab long bed up the hill?

Tell me about performance heads...

Thanks guys.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:17 PM
wildwolf59
Professional

this happened to me too.......four out of eight broke off and the hex was in my hand........my mechanic was able to use easy out and get them out without taking the head off, thank god ,i dont know how he was able to do that but i dont care as long as the heads didnt have to come off.....but like tani said if i had to do that i would of gotten the performance heads.....lol

Old 07-30-2006, 03:08 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

happend to me but not on my ram . but on my dads explorer. if the hex came off.. is the porcelin still intact? what happend with me is that the hex sheerd off, then the porcelin broke and slid out leaving a nice size hole a EZ out fit into.. had to run an impact on it with an EZ out at the end of it .. but it worked.. saved my dad lots of $$$

Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

If you take that to the dealer to fix along with all the other stuff, I wouldn't be suprised if the bill for $2000+. Dealers are a rip off. Either find another trusty shop to take it to or do it yourself and save hundreds of dollars

Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

find a way to move the truck out of the way to get your other cars out, then go buy the tools you need to yank the plug out. if you cant get it out... f*&^ the dealer and yank the head yourself... if you end up doing it yourself (which you can... with great support here at DF) either get the heavy duty heads with an ARP headbolt kit and swap both heads out. stock heads suck and it's a waste to put it back on. bare HD castings are 250~300??? (havent checked lately) your motor will be much happier.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

sorry to hear about that happening.... sucks asssssssss

you might try some penetrating oil to see if that will loosen it up. it might just be rusted in there a bit.

to move the thing... shouldn't take more than a few friends... ten.. fifteen maybe... i can push my 1500 ex cab short bed by myself if i put it in neutral and just coast. but that's on flat ground.

Quick Reply: I'm SOOO screwed