2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is there timing adjustment that can be made??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:20 AM
New_Climber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there timing adjustment that can be made??

I remember working with my dad years ago and he was able to adjust the distrubtor which adjusted the timing?? On my '94 is there any adjustments that can or might need to be made to the timing. My truck is idleing rough only when it is cold. After driving and it is up to temp, it idles with no problems. I am getting a check engine light every now and then and using the routine to get the check engine light to flash, I get error code 32, which my book says there is something up with the EGR system. I have not had time to look at it, but I was thinking I might not have something back together correctly after doing the head gaskets...

Any thought on the timing question on how to check the EGR is working correctly??

Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is there timing adjustment that can be made??

Base timing is set by the distributor, but timing advance is controlled by the computer via the CPS (Crankshaft position sensor)...something older vehicles don't have.

As far as the EGR, it's a connection and a couple vacuum lines. Make sure it's all hooked up correctly, and that the electrical connection is good. You might not have plugged something in correctly or gotten it all tight if this only started happening after changing your head gaskets.

EDIT: I forgot, you can adjust the timing by repositioning the crankshaft position sensor. I'm not sure which way it needs to go for adjustment though. I've never messed with it.

Quick Reply: Is there timing adjustment that can be made??