2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harsh Shifting a518 46rh

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:33 AM
rhoggard50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh Shifting a518 46rh

My 1995 Ram 1500 with the 46rh a518 automatic transmission 2wd would not go into reverse and when you put it in reverse it made a horrible chattering noise and and would not budge. Yet, all the forward gears worked fine. So to save a few bucks, i tore it apart myself and found that the direct clutch drum, annulus gear, spring, planetary and spider had pretty much become metal grindings. So i replaced all the bad parts, tossed the old clutch discs while i was at it and added new ones and flushed the transmission of all metal filings. Reinstalled the trans and the problem is fixed now. BUT NOW THERES A NEW PROBLEM!!! The transmission will shift fine for about 10 miles and then it will start shifting through every gear pretty hard and sparatically. One simptym that really bugs me is that at a full stop, i have to get the truck up to 2000 rpms before it all of sudden spins the back tires and goes into gear. It has enough fluid and I have checked the torque spec on the kickdown bands numerous times and now i'm starting to give up hope. I need help and i don't want to take to a professional. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Harsh Shifting a518 46rh