2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My spark plugs look new?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 PM
johnjokela
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My spark plugs look new?

i did a tune up on my truck, cap , wires,rotor,and bought the bosch+4's, i got to the plugs and pulled the the driver front plug and saw that the insulator was pure white ,like it just came out of the box brand new ,no signs of wear, so i pulled the passenger front plug and same thing, the truck runs fine has plenty power , im just used to seeing the plug tan, or oil/carbon fouled a little, those were the only two plugs i pulled so kept the ones that were in it, and returned the bosh's and got my money back , the plugs are stock, RC12LC4 at .40 gap, i did the tune because i just bought it , and the owner says he could'nt remeber the last time he did a tune up, is this normal or am i not running on all cylinders?

Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Default RE: My spark plugs look new?

If you weren't running on all cylinders, you would know it. Besides, plugs that aren't firing are oil and gas soaked ... filthy. Pure white plugs ... running too hot. They SHOULD look kinda tan colored.

According to The Rom ... you dodged a bullet by taking the +4's back. My understanding is you'ld be better off puting cigars in the plug holes. Worst plugs EVER.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 PM
johnjokela
Veteran

what would cause the truck to run to hot?? LOL on +4's

Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

The truck wouldn't be running hot ... the plugs themselves would be running too hot ... too high of a heat range. The colder the plug, the more junk (carbon and oil) accumulates on it and the tip. It's supposed to run a LITTLE hot to burn all that hooey off and keep the plug clean. TOO hot and it turns into a glow plug and can cause pre-ignition (the evidence is a stark white plug) ... even hotter and you'll melt the tip.

Quick Reply: My spark plugs look new?