2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water/Alcohol injection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/Alcohol injection?

I was recently deployed overseas for a short time and shared living quarters up with an older guy who spoke to me of water/alcohol injecion for naturally aspirated engines. I have done much research on the subject and have noted many upsides and maybe a possible downside or two if done improperly. For those not versed in the subject matter, water alcohol injection comprises misting or fogging a solution of water and denatured alcohol into the air intake just before the TB. THe obvious implications are improved mileage from the water cooling the intake burst and the small amount of alcohol providing better atomization of the fuel molecules(Really). Just curious really what the magnum gurus have to chime in on this subject on our motors.

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted, greatly enjopy the forum though.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:10 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Water/Alcohol injection?

it also greatly reduces conbustion chamber temps directly reducing horrible engine ping. my grandpa told me this one time when i was little helping him drop a 350 into one of his projects. alot of the old timers used to do this. it also has cleansing effects. helps keep the combustion chamber and the exhaust alot cleaner too. for what ever reason why its not used any more. im not sure.

p.s. i feel your pain, i was in iraq for 7 months and i was rarley on DF or the internet for that matter.

check out www.coolingmist.com

the basic idea and theroy of the systems are easy enough to fab yourself. i would defenatly not spend money on a kit, i would rig my own setup, its funner that way.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Snow Performance has interesting kits

http://www.snowperformance.net/

The British Company Aquamist kits are expensive
but their website has quite a lot of technical information:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

Just about every gasoline engine on the road today could get about 5-10% better MPG if it used water/methanol injection when at wide open throttle instead of the cheap but only partially effective 'fuel enrichment' permitted under a EPA loophole in the 1971 law. This is because water/methanol injection would allow a higher compression ratio during day-to-day driving.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Also I am certain the auto manufacturers know well about this, and know it would be beneficial, but they are not in the market to build the perfect automobile, that would be inhibitive to profit. Schott, when and where were you in Iraq, I also am a veteran of this most recent Iraqi campaign. I was over there about six months.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Al Asad airbase,,, jan05 to aug05

Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Balad AB, Jan 06 to Jun 06

Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Dtruck96
Professional

Looks like I got something else to add to my stack of parts in my garage waiting for my return.
And since I see the other two vets might as well put mine in. Mosul, Aug 05-July06, Baghdad Aug06-?

Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Come home soon and safe Dtruck

Quick Reply: Water/Alcohol injection?