2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What oil and filter would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:14 PM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil and filter would you use?

My ram is a 96 with the 5.2 with 120K.I am doing my own oil today.Last time I used a quart of lucas and regular dino oil.Im thinking of maybe going with a better filter like a mobile one and using High Milage Valvoline or something like that.Any suggestions?

I have great oil PSI and no noises.I want to keep it that way

Old 08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What oil and filter would you use?

I use Castrol Syntec 5w50 full synthetic. Here's my filter rig. I think I got it from Summit Racing about 6 or 7 years ago. It came in single or dual set-up. I really wanted it because of the vertical filters (oil doesn't dump all over your hands during changes). It also increases the total capacity by about 1 quart. I go about 25,000 miles between changes. 1 quart of Motor Flush just before the change and the oil still looks (and feels) great in the drain pan.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39331/491169D26DA041A5B05B18FD39E145CF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39331/0B178FB64EA34E42AE68B6B680F4FC48.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am thinking of changing my routine with the synthetic oil of changing the filter to oil 2:1 or 3:1. The filter is going to get clogged up over time, but the oil will still have viscosity. I have read a report of some kids who drove a car across the country and measured viscosity and a bunch of other variables with the oil. What they did was check every 3,000 miles and change the filter with a top-off of the oil. After 20,000 miles the oil started breaking down.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'll have to check to see what the type of filter im using but its a synthetic specific type, i used castrol 5w30 the last change.

the filter was a castrol synthetic highflow IIRC. but i'll check to confirm.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:54 PM
ASH
Veteran

I've switched from Fram filters a number of years ago and have stayed with NAPA (Wix) brand. I've noticed an increase in oil pressure when making the switch. I mainly use the Wix filters because they are good quality and the NAPA store is on my way to work.

As far as oil, pretty much anything with API certification is good. I've logged well over 100,000 miles on several vehicles combined using Mobil dino oil. I've recently switched to Super-Tech full synthetic (Wal-Mart brand), mainly due to price. It isn't much more expensive than the Mobil dino oil, so I just stretch out the changes a little longer. One thing I've noticed with the full synthetic: I put it in my 15 hp Craftsman lawn mower and it spins over much easier now. I haven't had too much more oil loss/usage switching to the synthetic oil, and my car and van have 173K and 148K miles respectively. The caravan is a little worse for using oil, but a quart of Lucas oil stabalizer helped slow it down on the last change.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wix filters are great and I would never ever use Fram filters again.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

I use Royal purple oil with a stp filter. at first i couldnt tell a diference but after putting about 150 I did notice the engine was definatly quiter. I like the oil alot, however I have not changed out the oil so i cant tell you the after looks of it.

BNB

Old 08-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 10W30 Mobil 1 Syn, changed ever 3000 miles. For filter, I use Purolator PureOne or a Purolator Plus filter (whichever is available at the time), or I go to the dealer and get a Mopar filter (which is usually made by either Purolator or Champion Labs).

TMS Bill, that's an interesting filter setup, but I would be worried I would damage my filters when I am offroading. Looks like they kinda hang down far. Have any issues with that?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my little Dakota, I use ACDelco or Purolator filters (depends on where I am. Up in Illinois, I can't find Purolator. As a side note, I work on planes in the Air Force and noticed that the oil filters on my planes are Purolators). I've been using Mobile Clean 5000 10W-30 and a bottle of CD2 (gray bottle; my grandpa recommended I use it) every 3,000. At 98,000, it burns virtually no oil, and has awesome oil pressure (at cruising speed, it's at the high-end of the gauge)

TMS Bill, I've been interested in relocating my oil filter, and was wondering if something like this would work. Thanks ahead of time.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Personally I use Amsoil 10/30 and a wix filter, usually an oil stabalizer as well, I think i am going to try MMO next time after the thread that just went through. I would really not recommend going full synthetic on a vehicle with the mileage you have got though. Synthetic is a very clean oil and usually does a very good job of cleaning out old dino oil deposits on seals and such. These build up over time. I have seen where a switch to synthetic on a vehicle with high mileage will actually wash out these deposits and cause seals to leak. I would recommend a high mileage 4x4 geared oil as they usually have seal conditioners and good wear life.

Quick Reply: What oil and filter would you use?