2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! Aamco says tranny is fine (but I think they're wrong)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
delta447
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Aamco says tranny is fine (but I think they're wrong)

I just took my 2001 4x4 5.9l auto Quad SB Cab Ram to Aamco b/c the tranny slips when going from 1st into 2nd gear. It first happened a week ago when I had a heavy load on the bed. The truck almost stopped dead when it shifted into 2nd gear w/the load. It is less pronounced w/o a load, but I can still feel it. Truck only has 48k miles on it, but I have not been good about maintenance, so I figured I would be paying the price by replacing the tranny. Aamco had the truck all day and they don’t think anything is wrong w/the tranny. They noted the pan gasket was blown and suggested replacing the gasket and doing a tranny flush/fluid replacement along with some type of protectant fluid. They road tested the truck before and after the maintenance, and they think it is fine. I picked it up this afternoon, and although the problem is not obvious, I can still sometimes feel the hesitation from 1st to 2nd as well as a bucking feeling when the hesitation occurs. The problem is worse if I’m starting out on an incline. I know that I am not imagining things, but I am usually very tuned into my vehicles and know when something is not performing as it should. Any ideas what my problem is? Aamco performed their full battery of tests, and said everything checks out. What gives?

Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: HELP! Aamco says tranny is fine (but I think they're wrong)

I had a similar issue in my 97 once. I got the tranny bands adjusted. They were a bit loose. Also they did find some clutch material in the filter. I changerd out all the fluids to amsoil. Also I know there was a flash for the PCM for my 97 concerning the shift points. That flash fixed a bunch. Also if you are running bigger tires the PCM will get confused about shift poitns and screw with things as well. This is just speaking from my experience. I would try getting your bands adjusted at a respectable tranny shop before totally condemning your tranny. Also when they do that they will be able to see better if anything is wrong, by checking for clutch material in the filter.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:03 PM
delta447

Thanks. I still have the original oem tires on the truck. What was involved in getting the bands adjusted? The good news is that there was no metal in the pan when they dropped it to replace the tranny. Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:00 AM
delta447

Please ignore my previous question. I did a search on bands and the symptom I am experiencing is similar to the front band being out of adjustment. I'm going to call Aamco this morning and ask them if they adjusted the bands when they changed the tranny fluid. My guess is that they did not, which bites b/c they are going to have to drop the pan again. Tommygunz, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 PM
delta447

Drove my truck to work today and the problem seems to have gone away. Spoke w/the Aamco dude this morning and he said they always check the bands for adjustment whenever changing fluid since it's an easy maintenance item when the pan is dropped. However, the tranny did slip within the first few miles after leaving Aamco yesterday, and then it went away for the rest of the ride home. Could there be some type of adjustment period while the new fluid settles in? I'm baffled.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

AT's hold alot of fluid, did you get it flushed to replace all of the fluid? did the tech need to adjust the bands? (you mentioned they check them but did he have to adjust them)

Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Have you checked your tranny fluid, maybe they didn't fill it to the appropriate level, that could cause the problem you speak of. With low fluid pressure at lower speeds the clutch plates will not have enough force behind them to provide adequate clutch plate contact. Also verify with them they used the right fluid as well. I have heard horror stories of tranny shops using a standard fluid when chrysler not only recommends a certain fluid, but will not operate properly without it. Also try running around without your overdrive on, that will rule out wether its a tranny or OD problem as well. Not speaking from a technical expert point of view I must reiterate, but merely from my own experience.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
delta447

They used Dextron III/Mercon Transmission Fluid and added VPS Trans Service Cleaner and Protector as well. I was told that the tech rep checks the adjustments on the bands whenever the fluid is changed. They only make a notation about the bands if there is a major adjustment required. If there is no adjustment or just a minor adjustment, no notation is made.

I’ll check the fluid today, but as I said above, the problem manifested itself the first few miles of leaving Aamco, and has not happened again since then. At this point, I am just curious as to why the problem would correct itself after a few miles of pulling out of the shop. Since I can no longer duplicate it, I really have no basis for taking the truck back. It could be worse I guess.

Well, I guess I have about $2k that I can spend elsewhere on the beast. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

heads & roller rockers... get the heavy duties and crower 1.7's... you will be very happy with them. oh and while your at it, cut the runners down on the intake. it'll breath well up 5k rpms...

Old 08-09-2006, 10:55 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

That tranny needs Mopar equivalent ATF+4. Using anything else will cause shifting issues and torque converter shudder. I would have them change it to ATF+4 and adjust the bands

Quick Reply: HELP! Aamco says tranny is fine (but I think they're wrong)