2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 PM
MarkBall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Heated Mirrors

Ok, just got done reading all the threads on "Heated Mirrors" that came up with a search. This is not a question about "swapping" 3rd Gen mirrors onto an older truck. I like these fine.

My 2001 Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x4 has powered & heated mirrors (at least it has the switch). They don't heat up to burn off the fog/ice. I've looked but haven't found anything that would allow me to test the mirrors/trace the wires to see if that is the problem. I suspect it has a broken wire or something. The power function works fine both sides, just no heated mirror.

When I turn them on via the dash switch, the idiot light illuminates, but the mirrors don't "defrost" when fogged up, or iced up in the wintertime. So I think the fuse is ok (don't know exactly which one it is either)

I've had the truck a couple years & was under a carport so it wasn't too much of a problem before. Now it sit's outside & I would like them to work.

Testing & replace/repair the problem won't be a problem, just don't know where to start. Any ideas?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Heated Mirrors

my suggestion would be to download the manual and look at the wiring for them, then trace it out and find out where your loosing power. btw, have you checked your fuse box?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:53 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

No blown fuses in the cab or under the hood. I think it's getting power to the switch, because the little indicator light illuminates when I push the button.

Haynes manual doesn't say anything about the mirrors other than R&R. I'll look through the downloaded manual when I get home tonight. With 100 degree weather, I'm not in any big hurry to fix it, but I know the -20 degree blizzards are coming in about 3-5 months. Brrrr.

Thanks

Old 08-11-2006, 03:10 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

another though... since both mirrors have the same problem, check the switch with an ohm meter to make sure it's working right... it may be bad. I can see 1 mirror having a problem but both at the same time to me kinda points to the switch. Wiring usually wont go bad so soon, it takes years before problems start poping up... unless it was submurged or something... or the harness is rubbing against something.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

Nope never submerged (that I'm aware of). The rubber accordian boots at the door hinge area are in excellent shape yet and all the other power functions work.

Hmmm, didn't think of the switch either. I wonder if I can test it by pulling the HVAC pod out? I also wonder if the indicator light draws power to illuminate off the dash light circuit? It only illuminates when I push the button, then after at time it shuts off (like it has a delay in the circuit) or stays off if I shut the truck off.

Your right about wiring shouldn't go bad. Maybe it's something within the circuit itself, like the delay? I'll look at the manual when I get home.

Thanks Steve.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

glad to help... let me know what you find.

Quick Reply: 2001 Heated Mirrors