2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing old cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacing old cat

Okay, today I ordered the cat from summit racing, came to $159.99 total, hopefully be here a couple of days and shoot off to meineke to install.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran

Let me know how long it takes to get it shipped to ya. i am planning on getting one also, but have just been too lazy to order one and put it on. also let me know how easy the install is.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Ramsrush
Professional

Mine came in 3 days on Sat. evening.Summitt is a very good company IMO.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:29 AM
ripto
Captain

ORIGINAL: cdusthockey

Let me know how long it takes to get it shipped to ya. i am planning on getting one also, but have just been too lazy to order one and put it on. also let me know how easy the install is.
Alright I'll let you know, but about the install I'm not going to do it myself but I'll tell ya how long it took for them to do it. It says pretty much no work required but who knows. I just can't wait to put on my K&N FIPK Gen2 and this new cat and see the difference in performance and sound, sadly I'm still going to be running 285's with 3.55 gears for a long time, so losing a lot of accel there

Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Ramsrush
Professional

If you want to tackle it youself letme know.I'll email you my cell# if(when) you run into a problem we'll solve it.Good luck.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:48 PM
ripto
Captain

I would like to do it myself but I'm only 18 and don't own/have any access to any equipment/lifts =(

Old 08-22-2006, 11:56 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran

Just got my cat today, got it installed in about 3-4 hours one problem i had was that i had to use a vice grip to hold the manifold bolts from turning. i would clamp right in between each flange and that seemed to work best. i also had to use a recriprocating saw to cut the cat pipe where it mates with the midpipe to the muffler because it was squeezed from the original clamp job. I bought some new bolts at the hardxware store and she is finally finished. i am very impressed with the results. the cat fit perfectly like i was hopeing. you only need 1 clamp where the long downtube connects before the cat. But i really can feel the gains, now i get the same power i used to without half the throtle i used to. plus it gives the stock exhaust note a little beefer tune. with the addition of a catback exhaust and a CAI i will be good to go. ill let you know if i notice any improvements in Mileage.

later.

let me know if you have any other questions that i can help ease the pain of the install

Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 AM
ripto
Captain

nice to hear you had no probs. I had mine installed the other day for me by Meineke and I love the new sound. Sounds like my old exhaust (deep rumble) with a muscle car attitude. Same as you, ready to go with the new cat, fipk, and exhaust. Should be seeing some better performance.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:56 AM
cdusthockey
Veteran

what did they charge you to install the cat? i called a local muffler and exhaust place and they said they could do it for 150-250, depending on how long it took. i said screw that ill do it myself. a few busted nuckles later and a couple hundred buck ahead, i am glad i did it myself

Old 08-23-2006, 02:12 AM
ripto
Captain

it ended up costing me $103.74, i had a $15 off coupon.

Quick Reply: Replacing old cat