2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight short

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:06 PM
joshc1973
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight short

My little brother recently got his hands on an 01 1500 Single cab Sport 4x4 V8 (I cant remember if its 5.2 or 5.7) 5 speed truck. Everything seems to be good except that when he tilts the steering wheel down his low beams shut off along with his tail lights. He can still run the highs and the fog lights and it only happens when he tilts the wheel. Anyone herd of this before? I am assuming that I will need to get into the steering column behind the steering wheel to check for a loose/stripped wire but I am worried about blowing the air bag. I dont have any expereance with dodge airbags and wanted to know if there are any special procedures or tricks. Any help would be appreciated.

Josh Combs
04 1500 V6 5 speed
The cheapest one they make.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:06 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Headlight short

Can't be too many things. Pinched or broken wire. Maybe a loose plug in the wiper/blinker/highbeam switch.

There should only be a few screws that hold the shroud on the steering column. Remove those and you can see where the harness plugs into the combo switch. Check closely in case a terminal has poped out of the plastic coupler. If the switch has been replaced, check to make sure the locking tab/mechanism isin't broken. A lot of people brake them when trying to unplug harnesses. Sounds more like something is loose rather than a short. If no fuses are blowing then check for secure plugs. A direct short would have you replacing fuses constantly.

Of course, Dodge headlight switches have a mind of their own. The heat seems to really bother them. But that's no where near the steering wheel.

Check that highbeam switch setup. You might find the problem there.

You can always disconnect the battery to prevent airbag deployment.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:15 AM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: Headlight short

Yep, pull the steering wheel and check out the multi-function switch, it is the heart of all your lighting in that truck.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 PM
dancing hair woman
Default headlight short

Hello Everybody,
We have a 1998 Dodge 3500 dually. It's a work truck and is on the road all the time. We are construction workers and this truck has to be road ready. Our problem is also headlights that go out without notice. The running lights are not affected. When we first get in the truck the lights work fine for about 15 minutes then go out for about 20 seconds. They may come back on for 15 or 20 seconds then go out and not come back on. We took it to the dealership and they replaced the wiring harness ($400.00!) It didn't fix it. Do you think this problem could also have something to do with the tilt wheel? Any other suggestions? The dealership has washed their hands of it.
Thanks for any help.
Dancing Hair Woman

Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

i like my 95 pull switch

Quick Reply: Headlight short