2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front drivers wheel grind/popping

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Vince96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drivers wheel grind/popping

I have a 96 1/2 ton 4x4 5.9L V8, 98,000miles

I noticed a slight metalic rubbing noise in my front end a few days ago. I parked the truck and when I came out to move it, I put it in drive and heard a loud grinding & popping noise coming from I beileve to be the drivers side front wheel. Whatever it is is not effecting the steering at all and I cant see anything when I turned the wheel to have a look. Any ideas?

Old 09-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Vince96
Default RE: Front drivers wheel grind/popping

Not sure if its related or not but when I turned the wheels sharply to turn out of say a parking spot or into one, I would always hear a loud grind. It would not do it if I was driving down the road and turned sharply, just in very low speeds. A mechanic could not find anything at the time.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:51 PM
silverram99
Captain

Take the wheel off of that side and look at both sides of the rotor. Make sure you caliper isn't hanging up and that the bolts are all tight. If everything there checks out I would suspect a wheel bearing. A good way to check a wheel bearing is to find a big parking lot, then drive around turning the wheels both directions, if the noise changes then you know its a wheel bearing.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 PM
radwebster
Captain

both times my unit bearings gave up on me, i heard a very distinct metallic clanking noise coming from the drivers side wheel. if that bearing give out on ya and eats itself, your wheel could easily fall off (mine was only held on my the caliper/rotor!... luckily i was on a trail at 2 mph)

jack the truck up and try to shake the wheel up and down. if there is play look behind the wheel as you do it. if the ball joints are still tight and not moving, then your wheel bearing is shot...change it immediately or you could have massive failure.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Vince96

I'm a newbie at auto repair but good with tools and stuff....any special tools required for a bearing replacement?

Old 09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
silverram99
Captain

I think the 4x4's have sealed, pressed in bearings but I'm not sure. If they aren't sealed you just need a brass drift punch and a big hammer to knock out the earing race. *The right way to remove a bearing race is to use a press.* Anyways, I dont think it will but I hope it helps a little.

Quick Reply: Front drivers wheel grind/popping