2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't reverse! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Vector Vince
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't reverse! Help!

I own a 2001 Dodge Ram with automatic transmission. Yesterday I decided to go off-road in 4WD. After engaging in 4WD I noticed my truck wouldn't reverse. So I decided to get back on the road and into 2WD to see if it worked then. The reverse as I write this is still inoperative. Whevever I shift into reverse there is a slight kick as if it engages, but it acts as if it's in neutral when accellerated. It shifts forward fine. I notice that if I shift into 4L and really let on the accellerator in reverse it works a little. Does anyone know if this could be caused by 4WD? Help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:18 AM
shepard
Rookie
Default RE: Truck won't reverse! Help!

I'm no auto trans guru, but obviously I do nothing on a Saturday night, so heres my input. I've learned the hard way that alot of frustration comes from fluid level being too high or low, so I would start with the easy stuff and check the level. Pull the dipstick with the trans warm, idling in nuetral, parked on level surface.

If that wasn't it, maybe the inkage itself is bent or misaligned. Don't know how hard you run off road but I suppose you could jar something. My shift indicator in the dash was not lined up correctly when I bought my truck, I believe there was a TSB for this.

I think the bands being loose could cause you some trouble also. My trans will shift real early when the bands need adjusting, also the kickdown does nick work properly. I think band adjustment is at 30,000 mile intervals. Do it when you change your fluid.

There are some solenoids in there too, but I 'm not familiar with what they do. Or you could have a real problem and need a new transmision.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Vector Vince

Thanks for the input, Shepard. I checked my trans fluid on the dipstick it's reading well above the maximum line. I'm guessing too much fluid. Again, thanks.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
shepard
Rookie

Now you'll have to figure out why. I had a trans cooler leak in the radiator one time that caused trans fluid in the radiadtor and coolant in the trans. Thats a mess. If you haven't overfilled it yourself, you might have a problem. If it is just overfilled, you could just take of the cooler line at the radiator and drain some out. Might save you a mess on the driveway.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Red Tonka
Rookie

A sterecthed or broken trans band can cause this as well,,,,,,,how is the shift into 3rd????? Lots of times when a tranny starts to take a poopy reverse is the first sign!!!! Hope not for you, but have TOO MUCH tranny fluid is far worse than having too little...

Too much trans fluid causes excessive bubbling....Trans fluid actually expands in volume with heat...TOo much fluid means that the fluid is getting into places it should when warm and thus causing trans failure....Also when bubbling occurs, then the cooling effect of trans fluid is greatly limited and this causing excessive heat can cause all sorts of problems......

My 2 cents....

Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Vector Vince

I changed out the transmission fluid and changed out my trans filter Sunday. Truck still won't reverse. It is now Tuesday. Took the truck to a mechanic. He said it sounded like a clutch slipping. He referred me to a place that specializes in transmissions. Man, I bought this truck in April. Last week I shelled out $400 to have an evaporator core replaced. The truck only has 62,000 miles. When does it end? I'm thinking about becoming Amish!

Quick Reply: Truck won't reverse! Help!