2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

started the custom bumper build

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: started the custom bumper build

yeah thats the only one i've seen.. where its just a bracket attached to the shock mounts to where you can add another shock on there.. but the stock one is still inside the spring

Old 09-04-2006, 07:06 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea... thats why they are dual.. but if you mount one on the outside.. then the IN the coil doesnt need to be present.. remote mount...b/c their isnt any damn way im gonna run DUAL shocks on the front.. this thing rides like a tank to begin with.. Tani on the other hand will prolly need to run duals up front b/c of the added 200000 lbs of bumper he is gonna put on.. .. the dual mount shock setup is made to be able to run a standard eyelet shock with same moutning on top and bottom.. as opposed to the post style mounted the stocker style shocks have on top.. this way you have a wider verity of shocks to choose from.. longer shocks to choose from and non specific vehicle shocks can be used.. thus allowing you to in theroy run a rear style shock up front .. tends to be cheeper this way. any questions?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:22 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

I dunno ... I'm getting to the point that control is way more important than comfort. What's wrong with riding like a tank? I'd replace the shock with a steel post if it gave me more control. I really do hate the lower mounts though. I've never been able to keep them tightened ... even with proper torque. Whenever I feel them thumping around down there, I know its time to grab the breaker bar and crawl under again.

I've broken 2 shocks, too.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Tani1500
Champion

well ill be making some shortly. all DF memebers get a discount. im gunna try to figure out the exact price but as its looking now there going to be 70 bare steel, 85 powdercoated with either black, red, or blue. i can also get them a custom color for a added price. Skyjacker and BDS sell them for about 150+ a set.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:54 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

not bad.. put me down for 1 when you start making them.. red powder coated

Old 09-05-2006, 01:18 AM
shott8283

Tani.,.. we talked about this... i got 1st dibbs lol

the only thing wrong with the truck riding like a tank..is the fact it aint no tank... ive ridden in a M1A1 main battle tank... even that thing rides nicer then my truck lol.. ive come to find that the shocks..when i start to get a thump thud in the floor boards.. .it turns out to be the bushings... have been replaced with ploy bushings and still did it.. so i ended up taking up the slack space with wraps of electrical tape around the bushings to get rid of that annoying thudthump... i hate my shocks

Old 09-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Red Tonka
Rookie

Not to trample on potential business, but fabtech makes a shock hoop and lower link mount for a dual shock set up outside the spring----

If you go to my gallery and look at the pictures of my truck with the 38.5 boggers on it, you might be able to see them in one or more of the pics...I have since went to the DIrt Logic Coil over 4.0 adjustable to be radical with the ford dana 60's but you might be able to see the fabtech stuff before!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 AM
shott8283

yea but how much is fabtech gonna charge me?

put that in your pipe and smoke it

Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Tani1500
Champion

hell yea,

Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283

Tani.,.. we talked about this... i got 1st dibbs lol

the only thing wrong with the truck riding like a tank..is the fact it aint no tank... ive ridden in a M1A1 main battle tank... even that thing rides nicer then my truck lol.. ive come to find that the shocks..when i start to get a thump thud in the floor boards.. .it turns out to be the bushings... have been replaced with ploy bushings and still did it.. so i ended up taking up the slack space with wraps of electrical tape around the bushings to get rid of that annoying thudthump... i hate my shocks
I just prefer an extremley firm ride. I guess it's all about road feedback. I'm doing everything I can to tighten this thing up more (I even run 45-50 PSI in the tires ... settle down ... they're 65 PSI D rated). I used to have urethane bushings on my shocks which, coupled with the 275 pounds of gas charge, made for GREAT handling. However, when I broke one, I wasn't able to replace it with an exact match and wound up getting a pair with rubber bushings. Tell you what ... 275 PSI coupled with rubber makes for a WHOLE new driving experience. Just this side of a moon bounce! I can't wait to replace these.

I've wrapped the bolts (where they pass through the mount) with teflon tape to keep from damaging them in case they are getting knocked around. I guess I could try wrapping the entire bolt.

The shock mounts are so messed up (compressed) it's tough to get the shock eyes in them. I don't remember if I have 1 washer or 0 in there right now ... but it's not 2.

I know ... if I wanted great handling ... why did I buy a 4x4? Dunno ... but it's working so far ... kinda.

Quick Reply: started the custom bumper build