2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP, I NEED SOME ANSWERS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:50 AM
heymccall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP, I NEED SOME ANSWERS

If the vibration under braking is felt in the steering or front of the truck, then I agree that the rotors are warped.
They will need to be machined or replaced.
And I use discount rotors all the time with no problem. I maintain a fleet of construction equipment that includes 20+ high mileage trucks, so I do have a little experience with rotors.

There are three primary causes to rotor warpage and it pays to check all three before or after machining or replacement of the front rotors so it doesn't occur again.

1. failure to maintain proper rear brake adjustment (I know they're supposed to be automatic, but they still require manual adjustment occasionally) (Check every oil change and adjust if necessary.)

2. failure to properly lubricate the front brake slide bolts and replace rusted hardware and the mating rubber parts (o-rings or sleeves depending on the brake design) where the lubrication goes, if necessary.

3. overtightening of the lugnuts (this a personal pet peeve of mine)

There are other causes, but these three keep showing up when I don't do the job myself.[:@]

Remember, the brakes are on all four corners for a reason, and if one end doesn't do it job correctly, the other brakes work harder.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

i agree.. its the rotors.. couldof warped from over heating too.. probally riding the brake down a long hill or having to brake hard from a high speed.. maybe avoiding a accident?

Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

if the rotors are that new and warped i would bet you can get them turned and would still be enough meat left.....turning rotors and installing new pads is cheaper then installing new pads and new rotors... espeically since you have recently done it... i agree..midas is horible for ripp offs... do you have anyone with free time that could go with you to the shop to hav eit looked at? perferably someone inclined to the subject? some ******* at midas once told my mom she needed her mufflerbearings changed... and for 300 bux under the table the mechanic could have done in within the hour... she gave me a call.. i left work (at the time) and i drove ot the shop... that little bastard didnt know what to do with a raging pissed off 280 lbs dude runnig at him... i was gonna detroy that little ****... but then i would have felt bad... needless to say.. he doesnt work there anymore..and last i knew... he got kicked out of his apt and is now bumming of peoples couhces.... serves that ****head right...(found out from a friends brothers sisterinlaws cousins bestfriends godfathers sisters uncles brother of that dude... or somethjing like that)

sorry to unload... but when i read about people getting ripped at mechanic shops... i tend to get very agry...

Old 09-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: shott8283

sorry to unload... but when i read about people getting ripped at mechanic shops... i tend to get very agry...
Have I got a story for YOU ....

LOL !!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:25 AM
ElChango

Nice!!!

One other possibility would be that you could have some glazing on the rotors, I have seen this on my friend's truck where his rotos had some "burned" spots on the rotors which caused his steering wheel to shimy, took them off had then resurfaced and it solved the problem. The cause was that when he changed them he did not clean the rotors and left oil and all kinds of bad stuff in there. the pads were new and had then sanded a bit with an orbital sander to remove the top layer and it was good to go.

Just a thought[>:]

Old 09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Hey TMcool,
are you hot?

[8D]

Quick Reply: HELP, I NEED SOME ANSWERS