2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP, I NEED SOME ANSWERS

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:27 PM
tmcool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, I NEED SOME ANSWERS

Okay, I posted my problem of the truck shaking when I apply the brakes. I am a female and not that mechanically inclined. I don't won't to take it to a mechanic just yet, due to the fact they like to take advantage of females that don't have a clue about repairs. So, please if you have any suggestion, please share with me. Again, the brakes, rotors, idler arm and tires are all under 8 months old.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:48 PM
gfunkatoa
Rookie
Default RE: HELP, I NEED SOME ANSWERS

Could be warped rotors. When the brakes were changed, what were the lugs torqued to? Overtightening lug nuts,especially with an impact, is a common cause of warped rotors.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 PM
shepard
Rookie

Well, considering your brakes were replaced recently, if the calipers are dragging you could have warped the new rotors. Not your fault. Usually a good idea to replace calipers when you do brakes but it adds cost to the job and it's possible to replace brake pads without doing the calipers too. Since it only shakes when you use the brakes, thats where I'd be looking.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
tmcool

Thanks for replying, all advice is greatly appreciated
The rotors were replaced the same time we did the brakes, also bearings. I have someone tell me to rotate and balance the tires again. As bad as the truck shakes when braking, out of balance tires I don't think would cause this much "rocking".

Old 09-03-2006, 09:17 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a combination of two things.

1. I have NEVER seen a garage that knows enough to lube, or replace bad caliper slide pins and bushings.

2. Women drivers. Women put their foot on the brake pedal and never take it off. Ever get to the top of a huge hill, and you're behind a woman driver? She will never downshift for some engine braking, and she rides the brakes all the way down. You can smell it every time.

You may have bad liners in your brake hoses, but I'd put all my money on #2, and #1.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 PM
tmcool

Just to let you know, this is my husbands truck and I don't drive it. I'm just trying to find out whats wrong with it because it needs to be taken care of. Thanks though

Old 09-03-2006, 09:22 PM
shepard
Rookie

No, I wouldn't think so. If you have to take it in, I would recommend against Midas, from past experience. Had them do brakes when I was in a hurry, and it was way below freezing outside. Cheap materials used, (although the bill never refects that, it was one of the most expensive brake jobs for me) and I had to redo them in less than a year.

Do you spin a wrench? A haynes manual and a few hours would get you through.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:29 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I posted my problem of the truck shaking when I apply the brakes. I am a female and not that mechanically inclined I don't won't to take it to a mechanic just yet, due to the fact they like to take advantage of females that don't have a clue about repairs. So, please if you have any suggestion, please share with me.
I must have been mislead by all the "I"s and "Me"s..lol

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Jeeze, no need to flame. She's asking a simple question, I doubt this problem is because shes a women. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

I will also say it is probably warped rotors, theres only two way to fix it. If its not that bad you can get it turned (they resurface it on a lathe and take a small layer off) any brake shop and some auto parts store can do it. Second way is to replace the rotors because they're to warped to be lathed out. Pretty common problem in most cars. Hope we helped you figure out the problem!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I replaced my rotors about a year ago - and I already have some warpage on the new ones, which causes the shaking you mentioned. The ones I used were $30 ea at NAPA - so I figure that is part of it - cheap parts. I also drive 22 miles each way down into the city to work, and due to traffic conditions frequently get on the brakes pretty hard and get them really hot. That doesn't help either. I replaced the rotors myself and put new pads on at the same time. I also greased the pins and sliders like you are supposed to. If you have a 1500 series, the rotors and pads are easy to change. If you have a 2500 or 3500 the rotors have to be pressed off with a machine. I don't worry about the shaking too much......One of these days I'll spend $90 for another set of pads and rotors and spend an hour and 2 beers replacing them again. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: HELP, I NEED SOME ANSWERS