2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 PM
cattleman40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers

Can anyone give any suggestions on what would be a good set of headers to put on my 99 4x4 360. If it would even be a good idea. If so, I would like to get a set that I wouldn't have to cut or adjust my pipes. Is there a set that just bolts on, and is there any things I should be aware of. How will this effect my pulling power? I am already set up with a CAI, Jet Performance Chip and high flow CAT. [IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Dtruck96
Professional
Default RE: headers

I have gibsons that I have been running for about 3 years now. I am very happy with the sound and performance. They are a direct replacement for your exhaust manifold and require no changes to your pipes. Plus they offer them in three different coatings. Stainless, nickel plated chrome, and ceramic.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:10 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

there are a few guys running the gibson headers on here and they all seem to like them. Thats what i will be goign with soon. There are also alot of guys on here that have tried edelbrock and had problems with them.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:57 PM
mdewitt71
Rookie

I am thinking of going with pacesetters...anyone tried them as well?

Old 09-04-2006, 03:00 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

do both of yourselves a favor and get soem gibbys... and save yourself the headaches aswell

Old 09-04-2006, 03:16 PM
shortram

I've got summit headers on my 5.9, they bolted right up to the heads and pipes without any problems, pretty heavy constucted also. Only problem with these are they only come in a painted version.I am almost certain Pacesetter makes them for summit. Just be sure to keep spraying the stock manifold bolts with some pb blaster or similar penetrant before trying to break them loose.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 PM
1RewdRam

ORIGINAL: Dtruck96

I have gibsons that I have been running for about 3 years now. I am very happy with the sound and performance. They are a direct replacement for your exhaust manifold and require no changes to your pipes. Plus they offer them in three different coatings. Stainless, nickel plated chrome, and ceramic.
Curious, any preference in finish? I'm not into a bunch of underhood detailing just the occasional degrease and hose-off. Also, which will last the longest? Last time I had hedders on a vehicle (High School, ANCIENT history) they did nothing but rust out. Got tired of replacing them.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:53 PM
mdewitt71
Rookie

I have been told ceramic is the way to go to fight heat...are they more durable against corrosion too?
$600 for ceramic Gibsons versus $250-$300 for a pair of any other brand....just dont know if I can justify that price for me.
I am sure they are great, but this G.I don't make all that much $$$

Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 AM
shortram

the summit brand headers on my truck were around 150.00 and came complete with everything needed to hook up to the stock head pipes. i would suggest stipping off the paint that comes on them and recoat them with some aftermarket high temp coating or paint as the factory coating burns off almost right away, other than that they were a good quality, heavy gauge and bolted right up without any problems.if money isn't an issue and you want a maintenance free finish then i would go with the gibsons ceramic coated, i almost did but had too many other items needed to finish my rebuild,had to cut costs somewhere.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:06 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well i thought that ceramic would have helped prevent corosion.. but im on my second set of gibbys for that exact problem.. granted i live in the north east.. AKA the salt belt of the country, still,, 4 months after the first set on i was starting to rust and now 6 months after the 2nd set im showing sighns of corosion... they wont stay on for much longer

Quick Reply: headers