2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:25 PM
ClubMike
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle issues

Well first I wanted to say hi, I am new to this forum and I have already learned how to fix my truck!

Issue: truck running poor, almost like a spark plug wire had come off. I checked all the wires and they seemed fine. Then I figured it must be the rotor and cap. hmmm.. I could not locate the cap and rotor.

I had a good time trying to figure that one out, I got out my haynes manual and quickly learned that the v10 does not have a rotor or cap. hmmm.... now what.

So I remembered changing the air filter when I bought it so I knew that could'nt be the problem, but I checked it anyway.

Fellas, I have never seen an air filter so dirty. I guess I must have changed the air filter on my last dodge truck.

So i installed a new air filter and presto change o it ran good.

However when I got on the highway and attempted to use the cruise control, the truck would not perform correctly, it would surge and drive you crazy but run good with the cruise control off. So thats and easy solution I didnt use the cruise.

You know what happened next, it started running rough at an idle and at highway speeds in overdrive. With the overdrive off it would run great.

Thats when I joined this great forum.

I read all the posts last night on the v10 and today I took off the TB and cleaned everything real good, I also removed the IAC valve and cleaned it real good, and also cleaned the TPS.

I really did not expect it to repair the issue but I just got back from the test drive and it runs better than it ever did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great info on this site.

Oh by the way if you do not have a v10 dodge 3/4 ton all jacked up with monster tires, you really need to get one, I am the king of the road in mine. THe other drivers hate me when I am in front of them, and they hate me when I am behind them. hehehehehe and I like that.

Clubmike

[IMG]local://upfiles/43801/3195FF9647DB498EB33F25F094F1DFBF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43801/AD0567EC29E64465AEF3DC02E4E2A4C0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Idle issues

Nice truck and Welcome! DF rocks

Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker