2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:39 AM
jkbhsf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobble

This is a true story… after years of being a Ford owner I finally picked up a 97 4x4 Dodge Cummins with 110K miles . Everything seemed fine! Well after official state inspection and driving home I noticed the steering seemed really loose. I had to make a trip from PA to VA Beach area. I was white knuckled the whole way due to loose steering, on the way back hit a pot hole, and man, thought we were dead when the front end went crazy. I took it back to the garage and they replaced the steering box, Still the steering was too loose for my comfort, then tie rods, still the truck steering was loose. So I started looking around on the net and saw a case where they suggest replacing the steering column, the cost rather high for the improved version, I resorted to putting on a new steering damper, since this was in my comfort zone for doing my self, and the part was fairly inexpensive. So the other nite I put it on in the dark came in and searched the net for adjusting it. That’s when I found these forums and reports on the 'trac bar' and 'max caster'. I do feel the steering damper/stabilizer has stiffened the steering significantly, but I will need to learn more about the trac bar and caster, I guess that stuff will be for the shop to do, based on my limited skill level.

I will say although my truck has some miles on it, a part failure like this is something serious, I’m surprised Dodge has not addressed it? Or perhaps they have? I like the Dodge, was tired of rusted out gas tanks on the Ford… looking forward to smoother trips to VA.

JB

Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Red Tonka
Rookie
Default RE: death wobble

Definitely the trac bar--- get an adjustable trac bar with heim joints----zero problems then...

I had a bad trac bar in my jeep, hit a pothole and ended up 100 yards deep in a bean field! SCARY CHIT

Old 09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to DF...

I had a bad tracbar 2x on my 2000, 1st time I didnt know it was bad but added the maximum caster the alignment tech could get into it and I never had the DW problem again. when I replaced my tracbar the new one lasted only about 20k miles. then I went to the thurenfab bar which was built pretty tough. Never had a tracbar issue since then. the worn tracbar will contribute to a sloppy feel up front, you can feel it on uturns easily... feels like the front is not grabbing like it should.

worn parts up front will contribute to a sloppy feel and may make the DW worse but adding the caster will get rid of it.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:38 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i went with a dt profab bar b/ci got a wicked deal on the net and its rebuildable.. hiemed on one end and HD bushed on the other.. all tho i may mod it myself by adding anoter hiem at the other end.. we wil lsee.. i had one experience with DW and it only took me a week to get my new one and put it on.. DW isnt fun!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 AM
jkbhsf

I pretty much understand the trac bar, but what is the ‘max caster’? Can you do that before installing a new trac bar?

JB

Old 09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

One of the two alignments that can be performed on the front end. The lower control arms are drawn fully to their rear position.

The other alignment is toe.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:46 AM
garpoonga
Professional

I had the wobble, it was pretty bad and appeared suddenly. I found though that when I replaced all the rod ends it got pretty good. There was still a slight wobble though that was the track bar. I replaced that and all 4 ball joints. My truck drives straight as an arrow as long as my hands aren't on the steering wheel. As soon as I tough it the truck is all over the road.....it's like learning to drive a new vehicle.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 AM
RedRocket

One of the problems I just had with my truck is the Track Bar snapped when I was on the highway at 100Kmh! It ened up taking out the steering damper also, they whole repair bill came out to 650! It still doesn't seem like it used to. Whenever I hit a pot hole or bump it feels like it rattles up front. I don't feel confident in the truck anymore.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

You got dem ooollllllllllllllll' track bar blues.... not a tough bugger to remove or replace, but better to purchase something off the aftermarket. Mine was made years ago by Linstad alignment in South Dakota. It works, but my lift tests its limits.
I believe Top Gun Customs on Ebay has a bracket that will adapt the later model 3rd gen track bar with bushed ends to a 2nd gen truck.

Quick Reply: death wobble