2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 intake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:29 AM
mntnceguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 intake question

Ok, I've got a port and polish kit coming so I can polish my intake runners on my 2002 V10. I need to find new gaskets for the intake, and the only ones I'm finding are for the 1996, and I have been wondering, were there differences in the engines from year to year, or are they all the same? I've also only found the performance ecu for the 95-96 engine, and was wondering if they were the same as well? Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 AM
mntnceguy
Rookie
Default RE: V10 intake question

or not?? lol

Old 09-11-2006, 03:05 PM
V10
Professional

Intake gaskets are the same 1994-2002

Mopar Performance stopped selling the Magnum engine controllers and they only list them up to 2000 model year, the 95-96 PCM is different from the later OBDII PCM's

http://www.mopar.com/tables/ecm_4.htm

Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 PM
mntnceguy
Rookie

Thanks V10! I thought the gaskets were the same, they just added a couple of letters at the end of the part number for the later years. Bummer about the ecu, I guess B&G computer flash is the only way to go for us huh? So How do you like your Fastman Tb? Hopeing to get one of those next month, and port/polish my intake runners at the same time, Thanks

Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

B&G Flash is the only way to go for the 01, 02, and 03 V10s.

Intake gasket is the same as mentioned.

I bored my own throttle body out a couple weeks ago. I haven't gotten a chance to put it on though...probably won't this year either. I'm interested to see how much it helps.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
mntnceguy
Rookie

Cool Rom, was wondering were you were?

Probably gonna be a month or 2 before I can polish my intake, but I'm sure it'll help my beast breath a little better. I was thinking about doing my own TB as well, but don't have a good mic or tools to do it the RIGHT way.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys, the p/n on dealer connect were slightly different, probably just changed them a little so they could charge more like usual. Thanks again

Old 09-12-2006, 10:22 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mntnceguy
Cool Rom, was wondering were you were?
I've been busy lately. That, and I was gone out to CT for 5 days to visit my gf.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

oooo lala

i bought a cheep digi mic off ebay for 10 bux IIRC and it works awesome.. just figured id tell ya bout it incase you were thinking of doing your own tb.

and when you mention P&P kit.. i was wondering if you could explain the KIT part...

Old 09-13-2006, 05:28 AM
mntnceguy
Rookie

Yeah Shott, its just a kit with all the different size mandrels, cross buffs, and sanding cones with different grits. Its a Standard Abrasives
p/n 260001. Standard sells it for like $71, but I got it off of ebay from Summit racing for $48 shipped. I already have die grinders and such, so now its just comming up with the new gaskets and some elbow grease to smooth out those intake runners. I think it was Burning Rom that said the V10 intake castings were pretty rough on the inside, so I figured doing a little polishing can't hurt. I'm hopeing to maybe do my heads next year, but since this is my only vehicle, I can't afford much down time right now.

And as far as doing my own TB, I'd be kinda nervous about modifying it by hand, wouldn't want to get it out-of-round, and then there's the need for new butterfly's to deal with. My buddy and I were discussing checking out the nearby machine shop and see what they might be able to do, so I was gonna pay them a visit this next weekend. Seems to me that Fastman does a pretty thorough job, re-decking, stainless shaft and everything else he does to them, so if I can't get close to that I'll get one from him when I can afford it, always good to support the good guys, ya know.

Burning Rom has a girlfriend??? Damn! I gotta get out more!! LOL

Old 09-13-2006, 06:54 AM
V10
Professional

I like my Fastman TB. When you see a stock Holley TB next to a Fastman TB, you wonder "what were they thinking" The stock shaft diameter is overkill along with the excessive butterfly thickness, not to mention the casting with less than perfect machining.

Quick Reply: V10 intake question