2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gotta tow my new toy!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
big_Gymnast
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta tow my new toy!!

Hey Everyone,

I just bought a 27 ft. travel trailer!!! YAY!!! Now before I pick it up I have some things to do to the truck I think. When I bought the truck, there was no hitch or trailer brakes on it, but there was a 4 pin connector in back. It looked like the previous owner towed from the bumper. I ordered the hitch from the local dealer and installed it myself. I also installed the hoppy 4-->7 pin connector. So I have the 7 pin connector in the back with the pigtales for the acc power and the brakes. I recently looked between the radiator and the AC condenser to see if there was a trans cooler in there, to my total suprise [sm=smiley3.gif] there it was glaring me in the face!!! I was like what the heck??? So I went to see if the brake controller plug was under the dash. I couldn't find any plugs down there that weren't connected to anything. What should I be looking for and why do I have the trans cooler but not the hitch and the brake wiring, I always thought that the cooler was part of the towing package, not a stand alone option. Its definetly a factory trans cooler too, I'm confused....[&:]. Anyway, any help with the brakes would be wonderful!! Thanks guys!!

Evan P.

P.S. Where do you think I could pull a power lead from for the acc trailer power? Should I pull directly from the battery and just fuse it inline or is there someplace closer to get it from?

Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gotta tow my new toy!!

I went to the U-Haul place and got the brake controller and 7-way plug. They installed it in less than an hour for around $30. and I was on my way. They put two relays under the hood and used a well insulated 2 conductor cable to feed the brake and power on the plug. The 7 way plug connects to the 4 flat so if the 4 flat is needed, just unplug it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29187/DF543A07342A4F348BE022648688ED61.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29187/938DEEB19CE447329F22538D4E72F464.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Gotta tow my new toy!!