2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Loss and exhast Problem????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 AM
jayare20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss and exhast Problem????

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 stock
2wd quad cab
5.9L 360
I replaced the plenum upper and lower set 6 months ago tiring to fix this problem, and a tune up 1 month ago
The problem is a year ago there was a major loss of torque. At a stand still when you give this truck full throttle it will barely starts moving. I used to light up my tires at a stand still giving it gas. Now on the Freeway is a different story already moving at 40+ mph giving it gas will jerk your head like a 360 should, but there is a CLATTERING I am also concerned about coming from the engine. The truck idle fine, no check engine light is on, bad gas mileage.
My last guess is the CAT.
I am looking to upgrade my full exhaust system (headers, Catalytic converter, and Exhaust)
Any suggestions on either the problems I am facing or piecing an affordable exhaust system together. I am looking for an average exhaust system that sounds good and will help me in torque for hauling hay bells and towing horses.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Terran
Professional
Default RE: Power Loss and exhast Problem????

I would say if you hear clattering from the engine, somthing internal is broken.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:28 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Default RE: Power Loss and exhast Problem????

The easiest way I have found to check the cat is to remove the front o2 sensor. This will allow just enough release for you to feel a pretty big difference if it is your cat.

Quick Reply: Power Loss and exhast Problem????