2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:34 AM
clk219th
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another curiosity

Going down the highway everything seems fine. But when I crest a hill and coast on the downside, the tach. jumps back and forth from 1300-1400 to 800-1000. It just jumps back and forth between the whole time I coast down the hill. Is this normal? Or is this just another little quirk that adds to the whole Dodge experience? I don't really feel anything when the tach jumps back and forth, I just see the needle on the dial moving.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:49 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another curiosity

Don't quote me but it almost sounds like your torque converter is coming in and out of lock up, perhaps? I am not even sure if the half tons had lock up tc's on them? Mine would jump in and out all the time and it took me forver and a day to figure out it was the cruise letting off on the throttle, and I am pretty sure Rams from our years were wired so that if there was no pedal being applied, the converter stays unlocked in case you come to a complete stop. It's a technique that makes ya cultivate good driving habits after a while. All I do in my Ram, going down a hill, cruise or not, is to just touch the pedal, and the tc stays locked. And always use a lower gear. It doesn't hurt to rev your engine if you know it's limit.

Anyway, none of the above may be your problem. If it is though, you can duplicate the problem if you have a feather touch, with a big toe........lol. No lie.lol. Could be your TPS, OR....... if your brake light switch is getting loose. Sometimes the plunger depth goes astray, and any bump in the road kicks it out of cruise, and it opens the converter. Could be something else.

Just my experience.....nothing else. It's been a Captain Morgan & diet Coke night. And it's only tuesday.........oh my!!!!

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Another curiosity