2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No guts

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Terran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No guts

I see alot of no guts threads, but most revolve around the death flash, which i do not have. I just got this 97 360 4x4 with 60k and it doesn't have the guts i'd expect froma 360. I mean it's pretty quick, but there's no solid feel to it, i'm planning on adjusting the TV cable and installing a trango kit [at some point]. But i'd like to wake up this horsey if we're going to have a relationship for a while.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: No guts

A bad/failing catalytic converter is also a common problem with these trucks, and contributes to the "no guts" feeling...especially when it finally does plug.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Terran
Professional

That's an interesting point, maybe i'll pic up a highflow and bolt in in as i'm planning on goign cat-back soon anyway. Anyway to test this?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:09 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Take it to a shop that has a smog machine and have your emissions tested.

Chrysler is currently replacing deffective converters on most Rams, except 94/95 models.

The thing you have to be careful about when dealing with a converter is the post-cat sensor. If you put in a high-flow converter with a post-cat sensor, you will often set the CEL light and it will start messing up your fueling. In that case, you need to install a sensor simm.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:42 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

Take it to a shop that has a smog machine and have your emissions tested.

Chrysler is currently replacing deffective converters on most Rams, except 94/95 models.

The thing you have to be careful about when dealing with a converter is the post-cat sensor. If you put in a high-flow converter with a post-cat sensor, you will often set the CEL light and it will start messing up your fueling. In that case, you need to install a sensor simm.
you should be fine.. wiht my highflow cat with the pre and post cat sensors, the CEL stayed off and all it did was improve performance and tone...and it passes NYS emmisions inspection, so its DEFENATLY working.. (damn NYS) i havnt heard of any guys having CEL popping after putting in a highflow cat..(for cat problems atleast) and now that i think about it.. when a cat problem is detected the CEL flashes in a sequence,,, and doesnt always pop a code.. the post cat sensor monitors cat efficiency anyway.. your fueling mixture will get messed up if the pre cat sensor is faulty or not reinstalled... if the post cat sensor tells the pcm to lean out the mixture since the cat isnt "working" well in the event of a faulty cat to prevent polution etc etc etc.. but i havnt heard of this happening if its true.. i was always under the impression that the pre cat sensor is the only one that adjusts mixture.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283
you should be fine.. wiht my highflow cat with the pre and post cat sensors, the CEL stayed off and all it did was improve performance and tone...and it passes NYS emmisions inspection, so its DEFENATLY working.. (damn NYS) i havnt heard of any guys having CEL popping after putting in a highflow cat..(for cat problems atleast) and now that i think about it.. when a cat problem is detected the CEL flashes in a sequence,,, and doesnt always pop a code.. the post cat sensor monitors cat efficiency anyway.. your fueling mixture will get messed up if the pre cat sensor is faulty or not reinstalled... if the post cat sensor tells the pcm to lean out the mixture since the cat isnt "working" well in the event of a faulty cat to prevent polution etc etc etc.. but i havnt heard of this happening if its true.. i was always under the impression that the pre cat sensor is the only one that adjusts mixture.
Incorrect. The post-cat sensor adjusts fuel mixture as well. Found that out when I put a race pipe on my '99 GT. It won't lean out the mixture either..it will richen it....BADLY [:'(] My polished and clear-coated tips went from silver to charcoal black in less than 500 miles after the pipe install. And my mileage suffered greatly. I went from 30mpg to 24 [:'(] Some of it was the tires I put on at the same time, but the tires didn't drop it nearly as much as the "incorrectly" installed race pipe.

It won't flash in sequence either. It will stay lit. The post cat sensor will almost always pop a code when there's a problem with converter efficiency. It's the pre-cat sensor that is iffy when it comes to codes and on-board diagnostics.

The highflow cat issue also depends on the vehicle. Some will throw a code (like Grand Prixs...they'll throw a code EVERY time), and some won't. Trucks don't tend to throw them as often, at least not older ones, because the emissions aren't as strict on them. Some still do throw the code though.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My h/f cat didnt throw a code till it gutted itself a couple years after install. Then it threw CEL but battery disconnect eliminated it. Nice power increase. Between the h/f giving .3 off ets and the self gutting adding almost another .2 off ets it was one of the best mods for et reduction. You can pretty well expect to see .5 from no cat.

Another issue for your gutless truck could also be the plenum gasket. If you pull your fiter assembly (or cai if equiped) and open the tb bores and look down with a mirror and flashlight look for oil pooled at the back of the manifold. Normal to have a thin film, if there is a puddle the plenum gasket needs replacing.

So lets see some pics

Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

after looking at the pdf manual.. i noticed there were alot of different emmisions packages on the rams.. it did clear up that statement tho rom.. the pre cat moniters and the post cat adjusts... interesting.. also apprently depedning on the configuration and what motor,, there can be between 2 to 4 02's and in different configurations they all do something a bit differently in each configuration.. confusing if you ask me (pages 14-47 and 14-48)

Quick Reply: No guts