2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how much for some gears?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 AM
pollocksn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much for some gears?

Alrighty fellas I was at my local 4x4 shop today and I have a feeling that im going back soon to slap a five in. lift kit on the ol dodge. I think im going to go with some 35s. Now my question is I obviously need to regear. I have been reading all the post on gears and I think for as much as I drive on the highway im going to go with the 4.10s. I was wanting to know how much should I expect to pay for these new gears? I am going to have them install them, so I dont screw it up. Oh if you need it I have a 2001 5.9 4x4 with a auto trans.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:53 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: how much for some gears?

this maybe an option for ya.. but the sports/offroads came with factory 4.10's LSD's you MIGHT wanna check a few yards for wrecked rams with front and rear axles with 4.10's .. would be a direct replacement (kinda,, but close and something you could do and you wouldnt even have to deal with a R&P swap) look for a wrecked ram with low miles.. i know.. long shot and will be expensive.. but new gears may nickle and dime ya to death.. and they have to be installed perfectly (for the rear atleast) for them ot work and last.. this is just an idea,, figured it might help.. im sure ill catch some **** for htis though

as for new gear prices.. i dunno.. im happy with my 35's being turned by my 4.10's

Old 09-21-2006, 03:08 AM
pollocksn
Professional

Shott you said some of the sports came with factory 4.10s? I thought only the offroad came with them...hmm I have a sport so now im getting up off my *** to go look.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:16 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Only off road rams came with the 4:10's...the sport package was an apperance option only. In addition to the gears, the front d-44 on the offroads had an extra rib in the front gear casting for strength...It's noticable from the front.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 AM
pollocksn
Professional

Dreams crushed. I could barely read the tag on the glove box because it was so faded but I think I made out 3.55. I also looked on the door jam sticker and under the hood and couldnt find gear ratios anywhere else. Is there another spot? On the plus side I found out my truck was made in Mexico 5/01.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 AM
shott8283

lol.. i said that b/c my sport offroad came with it.. and i know a buddy from the FD has just a sport 4X4 and has 4.10 tags on his diff for some reason.. not sure if they are the wrong tags or its a stripped down offroad or the original owner the an axle swap.. but you are correct.. the OR's did come with 4.10's and i think some HD packages did as well .. it was just and option for you to look into.. i mean if there is an 01 OR in the yard that rolled over and totalled with 10K on it.. that would be your money maker.. slim to nill chance.. but something to keep an eye out for.. something to price out when looking for gears too.. depending on who you ahve put your gears in they can charge a pretty penny.. does your 4X4 shop you mentiond deal any gears? you get a price checl/package deal check from them yet?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 AM
pollocksn
Professional

Im not sure if they do gears they might. They do everything else. The price for the lift kit installed is a little over a grand. I didnt ask him about tires though. So if I did go ahead and lift it and wait to regear how is it going to effect my mileage? how will it do on the highway? Right now I have 285/75s on it and if I punch it going 60+ it will downshift and throw me back in the seat. Sorry for all the Qs just never had a truck I could lift until now.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 AM
shott8283

sorry.. i have been known to have my brain-fart moments.. im sitting hear studdying on nfpa regulations and building codes for my test tomorow.. my brain matter should be leaking out of my ears by now

Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 AM
silverram99
Captain

Doesn't the 01 have disk brakes too. I know his is an 01 so it would have them anyway, but food for thought for anyone who has an older truck, better brakes and gearing. This has got me thinking lol. Is there a difference in a 2x4 and 4x4 rear axle?

Old 09-21-2006, 03:25 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I'd be the last to disagree that you have a sport package with 4:10s, knowing mother Mopar as I do...but it is listed as an appearence group only. It may interest most of you to know that most dealers tended to order sport packages on off roadsters for dealer stock.

The only other optional gearing avalible on Ram 1500s were 3:92s listed in the trailer tow group. This is according to my dealer manuals.

Quick Reply: how much for some gears?