2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need intake help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Redskin57
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need intake help

I going to put on my new fastman T/B and I noticed oil in the plenum I also had used a qt in about a month and never used any before between changes figured I might as well fix it. When I pulled the intake the inside is covered in oil. Looks almost like an oil pan. The thing I am worried about is the intake runners have a lot of carbon in them. Is this normal? I mean it is really pretty thick.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:29 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: Need intake help

Just a guess cause I haven't personally seen this, but the carbon you are seeing is probably the cooked oil that was being sucked through the plenum gasket and into the cylinders. The runners would receive heat from the heads and this would cause the buildup you are seeing. Best to get it all cleaned out while you have the intake off.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:30 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

You got the 'ol blwn plenum gasket blues son. You'll have to rmove the intake and replace the gasket on the bottom....might as well get the repair kit from Hughes engine as well...solves things permenantly.

Took me about 4 cans of brakleen to get the intake cleaned up.
Here's the link. Make sure you replace your intake bolts too as they are "stretch to torque".

http://www.hughesengines.com/partRes...ID=10&pType=GS

Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I got the APS kit with Fel-Pro gaskets, no problems at all since.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:27 AM
Redskin57
Professional

Thanks guys I do appriciate the info. I used to work no old motors these new two piece manifolds are a little different. Turkeyhunter do you live in the Sonora area I was out there fighting fire this year. If so pretty area to hunt and 4wheel.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:49 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I live up in the snow country of Minnesota. One of the reasons I moved here was for the Hunting and Fishing. Not much for 4WD trails, but at least once a year when I go turkey hunting in the spring I get to do some wheelin. The land I turkey hunt is about a mile off the main road through farmers fields and through a couple of creeks. Most of the time the water in the creeks comes halfway up the door of the truck when I'm plowing through. Deer season can be fun too as I hunt about 3 hours north of Minneapolis and sometimes we get some pretty good snow before and during the season ( 18 - 20 inches )

Quick Reply: Need intake help