2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard and rough start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:12 PM
mcarik123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard and rough start

My Friend has a 5.9 2001 ram. Ill get right to it. It starts hard and and wont keep running it has 80,000 on it he has done nothing to it yet. It will start and run rough I like it has a big cam in it. And it will die after it starts, runs for a second and dies. After its running you acan smell raw fuel. It be great help with this. Thanks Guys

Mark

Old 09-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain
Default RE: Hard and rough start

You could check for a dirty or faulty Idle Air Control Solenoid. It is the one on the back of the throttle body. Either remove the tb and then remove the IAC and clean it - or try to remove the IAC and clean the hole it came out of with carb cleaner and the plunger on the IAC.

Here is a link to more on the subject:

http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#CleanIAC

Old 09-26-2006, 01:56 AM
jellikit
Default RE: Hard and rough start

I had the same problem with my 98 1500 it started hard and died shortly after. I searched online alot and found that quite a few people had encountered the same problem the majority said that a new battery was the fix. I replaced the battery and all is well, also you may want to clean the idel controll valve mine was located on the back side of my thotle body and once cleaned seemed to help a seperate idelinp problem i had hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Hard and rough start