2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing to synthetic trans. fluid and band adjustment `97 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Go Mango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing to synthetic trans. fluid and band adjustment `97 Ram

I`m changing transmission fluid and filter on my 5.9 L Ram 1500. I`m going from Quaker State ATF+3 to Valvoline ATF+4 synthetic. I want to drain the TC and adjust the bands. It has 140k mi. and changed the fluid once at 97k. After dropping the pan,how is the TC drained? Where is the band adjustment screw and the torque setting? How much should the screw be backed off? Thank You.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Changing to synthetic trans. fluid and band adjustment `97 Ram

Band adjustment info: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/transmi...T_band_adj.htm

Note it's in INCH lbs!

As far as the torque converter, it doesn't have a drain. As far as I know, the only way to drain it is to pull the transmission and then pull the converter off. It's not necessary to get every drop of fluid out of the transmission...and you won't anyway. You can undo the lines to the cooler though and drain that fluid out as well.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:56 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know what you think of the Valvoline ATF+4. I'm thinking of doing a fluid change on my tranny, and just wanna know what someone else thinks of it.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:53 AM
Go Mango

Thank you guys very much for the help and advice. I`m trying to keep this truck on the road as long as I can. As rough as I`ve been on it, it has been very reliable. I will try to get some pictures together and keep you posted. Thanks, will start on this ASAP.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 PM
BeachCrawler
Rookie

I just converted my '99 5.2 1500 with tranny cooler last week. You need a 5/8" ID clear plastic hose (10 feet), 14 quarts of AFT+4, and a clear plastic bottle.

1. Change the filter
2. Adjust the bands
3. Install cover
4. Fill to proper level with new fluid.
5. Attached the hose to the output side of the cooler (low hose on my truck).
6. Place the other end of the hose in the clear bottle.
7. With wheels caulked and good emergency brakes applied or all four wheels on jack stands (my favorite).
8. Place the plastic bottle where you can see it fill when you start the engine. When you start the engine and place the truck in drive the tranny will pump fluid from the converter through the cooler and into the bottle. Stop the engine after each quart and add another quart. After 12 to 14 quarts, the fluid in the tube should be clean new fluid. DO NOT OVERFILL THE TRANNY!

I like this method over a back flushing because I did not run the risk of sending varnish and crap back through my tranny and doing permanent damage.

Good luck, I hope helps.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 AM
ASH
Veteran

By putting the transmission in neutral, it will pump the fluid through the torque converter as well. This is safer than putting it in park. Otherwise, BeachCrawler has a good method listed.

I just put the Valvoline ATF+4 in my truck. I had the mechanic use his flush machine. It was new to him and he likes playing with it. I don't think the new fluid made it run any differently, although the shift kit did. The tranny temperature was a few degrees cooler, possibly due to the shift kit, the new fluid, or autumn.

Quick Reply: Changing to synthetic trans. fluid and band adjustment `97 Ram