2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 PM
kstroeher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic transmission question

I working through all the issues with my truck, basically paying the price for letting it sit for for the past year. Most everything is back the way it should be except the apparently bad plenum gasket and a shifting issue.

When cold, it is very reluctant to shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third. Just takes a couple of shifts to have in working normally, but it's definately not right. I have changed out the transmission fluid (it's due again) but have never changed the filter. Will a simple tranny service with a filter change bring it back? Or is my shifting problem indicative of bigger issues?

The truck is a 2001 off-road with the 5.9, it has 62,500 miles on it. Any advise is appreciated.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: automatic transmission question

You can try a fluid change, filter change (you should always change the filter WITH the fluid), and adjust the transmission bands.

It could be a sign of a bigger issue though as well. It's hard to say for sure.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:13 PM
kstroeher
Professional

anyone else?

Old 09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Terran
Professional

I'm taking mine to AAMCO for the "Power Purge Plus Package" to get teh fluid filter and bands done as i was having trouble with slight engine overun so you can try taht.

Edit: You're supposed to do a fuel, filter, and bands every 20K so maybe that's your problem.

Quick Reply: automatic transmission question