2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TRANs - anyone know the sequence?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:55 PM
gphilpot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANs - anyone know the sequence?

My 01 RAM 2500 4X4 V10 is driving me crazy on the highway. Only had this truck about 4 months.

Anyone know the sequence in which the tranny works? Meaning, how is it geared and functions? Goes fron first, to second, to third, to over drive, then to lock-up (torgue convertor locks to spin the same speed as the motor).

What happens when you shift from D to 3 on the column? What happens, or gear will you be in if you turn off the overdrive?

Why all the questions you ask......??? Well, my truck at around 60 - 70 keeps shifting up and down. The RPMs change, and I feel the motor/tranny changing. But, it doesn't really feel like it's going from 1 gear to another. I really think it's the overdrive or a lock up feature on the tranny. But, when I turn off the overdrive, the RPM changes too much. (more then when it does it on it's own)

I first noticed this when using my cruise control. I thought the cruise was adjusting the gas causing this. But, it does it without the cruise and a steady foot.

Thnx for the help. GP

Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 PM
junkman306
Veteran
Default RE: TRANs - anyone know the sequence?

My 95 1500 with a 318 does it too. It's switching in and out of lock up mode. When you turn overdrive off, it drops into 3rd or drive. Mine goes up and down all the time.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

If you place it in D, it will not go into OD/lock-up.

If you turn OD off, it will drop into 3rd gear.

Sounds like either your lock-up solenoid is bad, or your throttle position sensor is bad. Both of those can cause issues with OD/TC lock-up.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:58 PM
gphilpot

Didn't think of the throttle position sensor. I will need to do more investigating. Anyone ever consider putting a manual control onot the lock-up selonoid? Bro did it on a Camaro to keep it from being sluggish at low speeds (computer trying to save gas). I will do more to investigate. Thnx for the help. GP

Old 09-24-2006, 10:00 PM
junkman306
Veteran

It doesn't throw any codes. When I accelerate hard in overdirve without downshifting, it stays locked up. but if I accelerate a little in overdrive, it jumps around all the time.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

My 01 1500 had the same exact problem within about 5000 miles of being brand new. Had to take it to the dealer and they made some computer changes regarding shifting and I never had the problem again. Knock wood, with 117,000 miles on the truck I have never had any kind of transmission issue since they did that. I believe it was something inside the computer telling the transmission to shift in and out of overdrive.

May not help, but there may be a TSB about this same problem if you look hard enough. I am guessing you have the 46RE transmission like I do.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962
May not help, but there may be a TSB about this same problem if you look hard enough. I am guessing you have the 46RE transmission like I do.
Neither one of the above posters has a 46RE

Junkman has a 46RH, which has no computer controlled components...just sensors and a TCC solenoid.

Gphilpot has a 47RE, which is like a 46RE but has an extra set of planetaries.

As far as the switch for lockup, I do believe some of the CTD owners have wired up switches for it already. Here's info on it: http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/tc_lockup/

Old 09-25-2006, 08:22 PM
gphilpot

Well, I am stuck in Atlanta awaiting my flight to leave for Ohio soon. Thnx for the post. Burningrom, does this mean I can't adjust any shift points via the computer? Also, where do I find my computer chip? I am thinking the previous owner may have made some mods. Tnx for the link. GP

Old 09-25-2006, 08:34 PM
junkman306
Veteran

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom
Junkman has a 46RH, which has no computer controlled components...just sensors and a TCC solenoid.
Good info. I never can remember which tranny I have.

Quick Reply: TRANs - anyone know the sequence?