2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Temp. controlled converter lock up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
junkman306
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp. controlled converter lock up?

I drive a 1995 ram 1500, 318, auto, 2wd. I started my truck this morning a few minutes before I went to work cuz it was a little cool out and my truck won't run worth a crap when the engines cold. I work about 20 miles from my house. About 5 miles from work I noticed my heat wasn't very warm coming out of the vents. So I looked at my temp guage and it was barely above 130. My question is, when I turned overdrive on it usually drops rpms twice. It'll drop to about 2250, then a second or 2 later, it'll drop to about 1900 once the converter locks up. Today the converter never locked up. Is it temp related? I'm sure the problem was my thermostat stuck open this morning.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:30 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Temp. controlled converter lock up?

I have a 95' 2500 CTD. My tc was doing the same thing. It is temp related, BUT, it can also be a sign that your tranny fluid temp sensor is starting to go bad. If the problem persists, you might see the same symptoms even in warmer weather. Mine was bad, and as soon as I changed it, everything went back to normal. If yours is 11 years old, it's a good time to change it, regardless.

The 130 degree things I would agree with you, it's the thermostat. I do believe also that the tc problem may be seperate.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
junkman306
Veteran

This morning was the first time the converter didn't lock up and the engine temp stayed at 130, so I figured it locked up based on temp.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:57 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Maybe there is a temp sensor up front too? I can't say for sure. My tc locks up even when the engine is cold. One time I had the "trans temp" light on but the truck had only been driven about 10 miles. I pulled the factory sensor out to install a temp gauge, and when I removed the wiring from the sensor, the tc didn't shift at all. My factory sensor was all corroded and warped. I put in a new one and used another tap for the temp gauge. Been smooth as silk ever since.

Hope you figure it out. I'll look in my 95 manual. Be back later.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 AM
ASH
Veteran

DieselDemon is on the right track there I think. If your tranny fluid temperature is not above 40 or 50 degrees, your tranny won't go into overdrive. Not sure where you live, but I doubt it was below zero on your way to work. Since your tranny is going to make some heat running and the fluid runs through the radiator, it should have reached the required temperature. So probably the computer is getting a false reading from the transmission temperature sensor, making it think the temperature is too cool. For a quick check, drive the truck to work or home, then pop the hood and feel the transmission lines that are running up to the radiator. If you feel any amount of heat with your bare hand, it should be warm enough to shift into overdrive. There might be some checks on the sensor, such as checking the resistance or something else. You might want to look into that before replacing the sensor. Keep in mind, that it could be something else with the tranny. Check the color of your fluid and make sure it isn't dark. Hopefully nothing else is going wrong and the temperature sensor will cure it.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:06 AM
junkman306
Veteran

Very possible, but it's never done that before until this morning. I live in missouri and it was about 40 degrees this morning. Overdrive engaged, but the converter never locked up. I'm gonna change the thermostat tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
ASH
Veteran

Sorry, I misread what you wrote. If it is going into overdrive, that means the temperature sensor is probably good. Try lifting up on your brake pedal when runnning down the road. If your brake pedal switch is sticking, it will keep the converter from locking up.

If you are going to change the thermostat, you might want to think about going with the 180 degree stat. The engine will run a little cooler.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

if you still have the stock style tranny cooling system and if the tstat is stuck open or cracked open a bit it will be a PITA to get the motor warmed up.. along with that the tranny fluid isnt getting any heat from the coolant in the rad to warm up a bit faster.. at first i would replace the temp sending unit (in the intake manifold behind the alt. and to the left of the tstat housig) and the stat at the same time.. combined brand new wont be over 20 bux.. my temp sending unit went bad and would only read right at 130 .. and when my cheep stat went bad the plunger/vavle came off its little post housing and got tilted a litle bit.. staying open.. both game me somewhat of a same reaction of what your tranny is doing.. and since i let it got for a week and driving it alot i think thats why my TQC got trashed along with my tranny..

id also check that brake switch.. have someone try and notice to see your brake lights are on .. wouldnt hurt to check it.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Good call, I keep forgetting about that crap brake switch setup that Dodge uses. I had a bad switch and it kept unlocking over a bump. Would also keep disengaging cruise control.

I'd inspect that switch plunger.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Temp. controlled converter lock up?