2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ATF+4 or DexronIII

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:34 AM
robert97dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF+4 or DexronIII

I have a '01 dodge ram 1500 4wd and I am putting a new tranny in the truck this week. I have always heard that you are supposed to use dexronIII on chrysler vehicles. Well this other guy I was talking to today said that he was told to use ATF+4. This other guy I know said that Wayne over at APS precision says to use ATF+4 and another guy I know says that he talked to a guy named Dave Goerend who also builds trannys and he says to use DexronIII. So which is it that I am supposed to use? I have always used NAPA brand dexronIII. NAPA is the only I have been able to buy it buy the case so that is where I always go.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:48 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ATF+4 or DexronIII

ATF+4, and ATF+4 only. Do not use ATF+3. Do not use Dexron.
Valvoline has ATF+4 out which is priced pretty good.
Note: you can use Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluids. These are either ATF+4 approved or recommended by the manufacturers for Chryslers transmissions. As far as other transmission fluids, make sure the fluid is either: ATF+4 approved, or recommened by the manufacturer for Chrysler transmissions.
Again, do not use ATF+3 or Dexron.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:00 AM
robert97dodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

ATF+4, and ATF+4 only. Do not use ATF+3. Do not use Dexron.
Valvoline has ATF+4 out which is priced pretty good.
Note: you can use Amsoil or Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluids. These are either ATF+4 approved or recommended by the manufacturers for Chryslers transmissions. As far as other transmission fluids, make sure the fluid is either: ATF+4 approved, or recommened by the manufacturer for Chrysler transmissions.
Again, do not use ATF+3 or Dexron.
A friend of mine is a Amsoil dealer so you think it would just be best to get a case of amsoil ATF+4 from him?? Also what about the t-case? I know in the owners manual it just says to use ATF.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:12 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: robert97dodge

I have a '01 dodge ram 1500 4wd and I am putting a new tranny in the truck this week. I have always heard that you are supposed to use dexronIII on chrysler vehicles. Well this other guy I was talking to today said that he was told to use ATF+4. This other guy I know said that Wayne over at APS precision says to use ATF+4 and another guy I know says that he talked to a guy named Dave Goerend who also builds trannys and he says to use DexronIII. So which is it that I am supposed to use? I have always used NAPA brand dexronIII. NAPA is the only I have been able to buy it buy the case so that is where I always go.
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER USE DEXRONIII! READ THE MANUAL. ATF+4 ONLY! DEXRON is an outdated crappy tranny fuild that doesn't live up to the standards of Chrysler automatics, it is like using acid in your tranny.

About the Amsoil ATF+4, I don't know. I stick with the Mopar name brand just to be safe.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

There are people in this forum that have been using Amsoil in their transmissions trouble-free. (A note: Amsoil does not make an ATF+4 per-say, but a universal fluid that is compatable with ATF+4)
Yes, the transfer case takes ATF+4 as well.
You will need:
4 quarts for just a transmission filter change and fluid fill. For a flush, you will need: 10 quarts for the 42RE, 44RE, and 46RE transmissions. The 47RE transmission will take 17 quarts. (Note: these numbers are not exact, order/buy a few extra quarts)
Transfer case: NV231HD takes about 1.5 quarts. NV241 takes about 2.5 quarts. NV241HD takes about 3 quarts.

Its recommened to change your transmission and transfer case fluid around 35,000 miles (or before )

Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

My local NAPA store carries the Valvoline ATF+4 and I have purchased mine there. WHen I first got my truck I could only get it from the dealership, but NAPA now carries it and the price is not too unreasonable ( at least it is better than the dealership) As everybody says DO NOT USE DEXRONIII.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:58 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

My local NAPA store carries the Valvoline ATF+4 and I have purchased mine there. WHen I first got my truck I could only get it from the dealership, but NAPA now carries it and the price is not too unreasonable
I haven't checked my local NAPA, but my AutoZone has Valvoline ATF+4 for around $3.70/qt. Advance Auto Parts has it for $4.70/qt. My local WalMart sells Mopar ATF+4 for $4.50/qt. Yea, my local Wal*Mart sells the OEM stuff for a decent price.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I run Amsoil ATF and I love it, all of my fluids (fuel exempt, obviously) are Amsoil. I grew up having my grandfather as a dealer, never used anything else and I swear by it. We even used it in our tractors, antique and new.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

The official answer is that according to DCX everything should be "retro-filled" with ATF+4 = even your K-cars when doing a flush job.

But if the dipstick called for DexronIII you can still use DexronIII of course - even though DCX suggests to update to the ATF4.
But if it originally called for ATF4 = you MUST use ATF4

Old 09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I haven't checked my local NAPA, but my AutoZone has Valvoline ATF+4 for around $3.70/qt. Advance Auto Parts has it for $4.70/qt. My local WalMart sells Mopar ATF+4 for $4.50/qt. Yea, my local Wal*Mart sells the OEM stuff for a decent price.
I stumbled into an incorrect labling thing at walmart... they had the $ on the Mopar ATF+4 at $3.40/qt... bought a case of 12.

Quick Reply: ATF+4 or DexronIII