2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gonna be a good day tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:48 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna be a good day tomorrow

got the body lift in tuesday.. so come tomorrow after work its going on is there anything specific i should know about it? which part took the longest to do?? i also need to get the front end realigned after that 3 inch lift, would doing that help center my axle back up? its pulled more towards the back of the wheel well which is probally going to cause the tires to rub pretty good [&:]

Old 09-29-2006, 03:53 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: gonna be a good day tomorrow

Pavement sucks has a write-up for it, in case you weren't aware of it. Might not be the same exact kit you bought, but I can't imagine there'd be too much of a differnce in kits. The install should basically be the same.

You can find it here: http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/bodylift.php

Old 09-29-2006, 03:55 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

how about the alignment... would you know anything about that?? by looking at it, since the caster bolts are on the lower control arm it looks like it slides the axle forward and back to adjust the angle of it..

Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Tempsho
Professional

A body lift is just a body lift. It has absolutely nothing to do with the suspension. Use both guides. The one on ps.com (Print it out and have it handy) and use the one that comes with the kit. (Assuming its Performance Accessories) I used both, and actually used the one from ps.com more than the one that came with the kit. Both are good though.

You'll need at least 2 guys, 3 is good though. 4 is too many and chances are 1 or 2 of them will be sitting around doing nothing. Although 4 is handy when your lifting the box to install the spacers.

I had myself and 2 other buds. One guy worked under the truck, loosening the cab bolts and box bolts, while me and another guy worked under hood (Which is where you'll spend most of time)

The toughest parts was the steering shaft (I replaced mine at the same time with the borgeson one) Chances are you're going to install the spacer which isnt that hard. (Since you wont have to work under the brake booster)

Take your time. Read each step carefully. Make sure everything is un-done and loosened, and when your actually ready to lift one side of the cab, do it very slowly and make sure nothing is being pulled on that could possibly break. Use blue loctite on every cab bolt. Im not to sure on the torque specs for them, but make sure they are tightened down pretty good.

Before hand, I removed the wheel well liners, mud flaps, front bumper and rear bumper by myself. That saves some time, but considering your doing it tomorrow, it might take a bit longer. The 3 of us spent 7 or 8 hours one Saturday doing the lift. Of course all 3 of us were hung over as sh*t from drinking the night before, so we all felt like retards for most of the morning. It might not actually take you as long then! LOL

Have fun doing it, take your time and take pics along the way. Try to save the beers for the end so you dont forget any final steps! :P

Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 AM
Tempsho
Professional

Oh yeah, if yours is an auto, you'll have to weld in the shifter extension. Mine is a 5 speed so I didnt have to worry. The transfer case doesn't need the extension, just make sure all ranges work before you assume so.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:21 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

for the alingment.. ask the tech to add all the caster you got.. possibly the rotating the lobes on the control arms might send your axle foward enough to clear.. but then again .. with your 3 inch suspension and your 3 inch BL...witch will sit you 6 total..and shouldnt rub entirely too bad.. maybe a littel bit... your prolly gonna clear enough to make it untill you can either fab up or buy some new control arms.. but it wouldnt hurt to add max caster espessialy since its lifted and assuming your running the stock t-bar.. 3 inches is getting close to pissing it off..

Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Maintain
Rookie

haha, took us about 6-7 hours. During that 6 hours I installed an intake on another truck and we ate crabs for a few hours.

Quick Reply: gonna be a good day tomorrow