2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission install tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:09 AM
robert97dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission install tips

I am gonna be putting a new tranny in my truck hopefully monday if it shows up and I was just loooking for some tips to get it lifted up high enough and getting it lined up without dropping it. With my old one I had to use a cinder block standing up long ways on top of my jack and then once I get it broke loose from the block I just let the jack down and the tranny was still about 12" off of the ground so I just able to just kind of lay it down and stand it up on the end to get the jack and cinder block out. The problem is gonna be getting the new one up and on the jack. I am working outside in the dirt which doesnt help and the truck also has about 15 1/2" of lift in the rear and 40" tires so it has to be lifted up pretty high. Anyways I was just looking for some ideas. Let me know what you go. I do have 2 8' 2"X6"s and 2 8' 2x4's and also I have some 6X6' post that I can cut up to make some block out of. About the best I can come up with is to just slide the tranny under the truck as close lined up as possible and the just start pilling blocks under the front and rear of it until I can get the jack under the pan. Then lift it as high as I can with the jack and the block the tranny up again and the let the jack down and add blocks to the top of the jack.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:50 AM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission install tips

It sounds to me like you have the right idea. I hate doing trannys on trucks like yours for just this reason. We have a nice transmission jack but it wont go high enough to reach the truck on one that is substantsially lifted. I usually just stack blocks of wood on a regular floor jack until it reaches. I also lose my *** on flat rate when it comes to jobs like this. Anyways good luck.

Quick Reply: Transmission install tips